Rejection makes your heart skip a beat
Friday 01 October 2010
Rejection has a physiological response according to a new study published in the September print edition of the journal
Researchers at the University of Amsterdam and Leiden University in the Netherlands set out to understand the psychophysiological response of hurt feelings.
During the study, when participants awaited judgment and learned they were not liked, the beat of their heart dropped and was slow to return to a normal beat.
Hurt feelings seem to go deeper than previously expected.
Here are some tips to from eHow to help you cope with personal rejection: http://www.ehow.com/how_4808728_cope-with-rejection.html and professional rejection advice from the blog ChickSpeak: http://chickspeak.com/blog/2009/12/28/how-to-deal-with-rejection-from-a-job/
Full study, "The Heartbrake of Social Rejection: Heart Rate Deceleration in Response to Unexpected Peer Rejection": http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20696852
Life & Style blogs
'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
MIT robots can now clear hurdles as they run
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
Reproduction: how much do you remember from your biology GCSE?
- 1 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
- 5 Kate Moss on the naked Calvin Klein shoot and the obsession that ended her relationship
£16500 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the leading Mercedes-Ben...
£27500 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£19500 - £23500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Experienced B2B Telemarketer wa...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This global company are looking for two Showro...