Thinspiration: world's least obese nations
Monday 27 September 2010
On September 23, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) released their report
Obesity and the Economics of Prevention: Fit not Fat, ranking the fattest and fittest nations.
While it is no surprise the US remains the home of the most overweight and obese adults, Mexico, New Zealand, Australia, the UK and Canada are not falling far behind with all having populations exceeding 60 percent overweight.
Look to Japan, Korea, India, Indonesia and China for thinner adults (1-4 percent obese). Nonetheless obesity is rapidly becoming a global epdidemic.
When it comes to children (11 years old) Indonesia, Slovak Republic, Turkey and India have 10 percent or less overweight and obese whereas the US, Scotland, Spain and Italy have a growing epidemic of overweight children (33-35 percent).
The Assistant Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO) Ala Alwan said the OECD report offers a "positive message ...that the obesity epidemic can be successfully addressed by comprehensive strategies involving multiple interventions directed at individuals and populations."
According to the WHO "by 2015, approximately 2.3 billion adults will be overweight, more than 700 million will be obese and 20 million children under the age of 5 years are overweight globally in 2005."
The WHO explains how you can cut your portion of the world's fat:
- achieve energy balance and a healthy weight
- limit energy intake from total fats and shift fat consumption away from saturated fats to unsaturated fats
- increase consumption of fruit and vegetables, as well as legumes, whole grains and nuts
- limit the intake of sugars
- increase physical activity (at least 30 minutes of regular, moderate-intensity activity on most days. More activity may be required for weight control)
To learn more about Obesity and the Economics of Prevention: Fit not Fat, and see where your nation ranks, go to: http://www.oecd.org/health/fitnotfat
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 3 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 4 Britney Spears sings 'Alien' without Auto-Tune in embarrassingly brilliant leaked audio clip
- 5 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum Up to 20% bonus: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: An...
£400 per hour: Orgtel: Technical Business Analyst - Banking - Bristol - £400pd...
To £58k Contract 12 months: Charter Selection: Major household name charity se...
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: Lead Hand - QCProgressive are recruiting...