Three hours of daily exercise advised for youngsters five and under
Tuesday 12 July 2011
Announced July 10, UK officials for the first time set exercise guidelines for the under-five set in an effort to combat obesity.
Government health officials issued a report advising that babies and toddlers spend less time strapped to strollers and car seats and more time moving around, at least three hours a day. The new guidance reflects the growing issue of obesity in the country, and the link between inactivity in children to not only weight problems but brain development issues.
Suggested activities include less television and more running, playing chase, swimming, skipping, and bike riding. For babies, opt for playing on activity mats and swimming.
Government officials in Canada are devising guidelines of their own for children based on new research indicating that most Canadian children are not exercising enough.
US experts advise as least one hour a day of exercise for young children.
Exercise ideas for your young child? http://www.livestrong.com/article/435951-free-exercise-ideas-for-my-five-year-old/
More tips on helping your tot stay healthy and fit: http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/childhealth1-5/pages/overweight2to5.aspx
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
£40000 - £50000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: SQL Impl...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: SQL Technical ...
£85000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Head of IT (Windows, Server, VMware, SAN, ...
£55000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Lead C# Develo...