Want her digits? Get a dog
Tuesday 27 July 2010
Physicians have long claimed having a dog is healthy and French researchers proved that a dog helps both men and women get dates and cash in a phenomenon known as the "dog effect."
On July 21, Gad Saad, PhD, research chair in evolutionary behavioral sciences and Darwinian consumption at Concordia University in Montreal, Canada, reviewed four studies by Nicolas Guéguen, PhD, a professor of psychology at the University of Bretagne-Sud in France, and colleague Serge Ciccotti in the bimonthly magazine Psychology Today.
The studies were originally published in the journal Anthrozoos in December 2008 and consisted of four experiments - each was carried out with or without a dog. Here they are explained with their results.
1. A man solicited people for money in the street and 9 out of 80 people donated ($0.26/€0.20) to the man without a dog and 28 ($0.31/€0.24) gave to the guy with the dog.
2. The same experiment as #1 except a woman executed the experiment instead of a the man. Twenty-six out of 100 people ($0.31/€0.24) gave to the woman without a dog and 51 ($0.47/€0.36) gave to the lady with the dog.
3. A man accidentally dropped some coins on the ground, to see if people would help him pick them up. Twenty-three out of 40 people helped the man without the dog as opposed to 35 that helped when the dog was present.
4. Young women were approached on the street and asked for their phone number by a man. Eleven out of 120 gave their numbers to the guy with no dog whereas 34 gave to the guy with the dog.
Guéguen and Ciccotti concluded "that the presence of the dog was associated with a higher rate of helping behavior (experiments 1, 2, 3) and higher compliance with the request of the confederate (experiment 4)."
Saad added, "This is an astonishing finding: a man's likelihood of obtaining a woman's phone number increases three-fold when accompanied by a dog!"
Full study, "Domestic Dogs as Facilitators in Social Interaction: An Evaluation of Helping and Courtship Behaviors": h ttp://www.anthrozoology.org/domestic_dogs_as_facilitators_in_social_interaction_an_evaluation_of_helping_and_courtship_behaviors
Life & Style blogs
McDonald’s launches clothing line using Big Mac prints
Facebook to test 747-sized drones that will beam broadband to the entire world
The distress of some Zayn Malik fans is real, and they need support, say experts
Chair-bound workers 'should move around every hour to reduce physical and mental health risks'
The truth about student sex workers: it's far from Belle Du Jour
- 1 Germanwings crash: Police make 'significant discovery' at home of co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 3 Zayn Malik already working on solo material, just days after quitting One Direction
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
£32000 - £38000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A successful accountancy practice in...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Uncapped commission: SThree: Does earning a 6 figu...
£18000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A challenging opportunity for a...