WHO targets millions in Africa with new meningitis vaccine
Tuesday 07 December 2010
The World Health Organization kicked off a huge drive this week to administer a new meningitis vaccine to 300 million Africans in a swathe of countries that suffer epidemics of the deadly disease.
The campaign was launched on Monday in Burkina Faso where between 12 and 16 million people are to be vaccinated over 10 days, health officials told AFP.
It will cover 25 sub-Saharan countries in the "meningitis belt" which stretches from Senegal in the west to Ethiopia in the east, WHO director general Margaret Chan said.
Meningitis killed 4,000 people out of 78,000 cases last year in Africa, the UN health body says.
The new MenAfriVac vaccine, produced in India, offers longer immunity against group A meningococcus, responsible for 80-85 percent of cases of meningitis in the region, and is cheaper than the one used before, the WHO says.
Life & Style blogs
Why you should never make assumptions about people with autism
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
Sugary drinks are killing 184,000 adults around the world every year, says study
Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
£7 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This care provider is looking for Home ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing, successful, friendly...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This family owned, independent ...