WHO targets millions in Africa with new meningitis vaccine
Tuesday 07 December 2010
The World Health Organization kicked off a huge drive this week to administer a new meningitis vaccine to 300 million Africans in a swathe of countries that suffer epidemics of the deadly disease.
The campaign was launched on Monday in Burkina Faso where between 12 and 16 million people are to be vaccinated over 10 days, health officials told AFP.
It will cover 25 sub-Saharan countries in the "meningitis belt" which stretches from Senegal in the west to Ethiopia in the east, WHO director general Margaret Chan said.
Meningitis killed 4,000 people out of 78,000 cases last year in Africa, the UN health body says.
The new MenAfriVac vaccine, produced in India, offers longer immunity against group A meningococcus, responsible for 80-85 percent of cases of meningitis in the region, and is cheaper than the one used before, the WHO says.
Life & Style blogs
Blood test that predicts Alzheimer's disease
Pakistan vs Paul Smith: Sandal-wearers bemused by famed British designer's attempts to sell traditional Peshawari chappal-style shoes for the distinctly untraditional sum of £300
Lego told off by 7-year-old girl for promoting gender stereotypes
Mapping the tubes: The hidden world of undersea cables that make up the internet
Titanfall: Release date, gameplay basics, DLC and everything else you need to know
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow
£20000 - £25000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: One of the largest mobile advert...
£20000 - £23000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client specialises in creati...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Private Cli...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residential...