WHO targets millions in Africa with new meningitis vaccine
Tuesday 07 December 2010
The World Health Organization kicked off a huge drive this week to administer a new meningitis vaccine to 300 million Africans in a swathe of countries that suffer epidemics of the deadly disease.
The campaign was launched on Monday in Burkina Faso where between 12 and 16 million people are to be vaccinated over 10 days, health officials told AFP.
It will cover 25 sub-Saharan countries in the "meningitis belt" which stretches from Senegal in the west to Ethiopia in the east, WHO director general Margaret Chan said.
Meningitis killed 4,000 people out of 78,000 cases last year in Africa, the UN health body says.
The new MenAfriVac vaccine, produced in India, offers longer immunity against group A meningococcus, responsible for 80-85 percent of cases of meningitis in the region, and is cheaper than the one used before, the WHO says.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Dame Vivienne Westwood: The former Queen of Punk may now be an establishment pillar, but her work is still controversial – and much copied
Regin: Newly uncovered malicious software snooping since 2008 'was developed by a nation state'
Kim Kardashian recreates iconic Jean-Paul Goude naked 'Champagne Incident' photo
Henri de Toulouse Lautrec: Google celebrates 150th anniversary of French artist's birth
- 1 Lego letter from the 1970s still offers a powerful message to parents 40 years later
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Green Party Caroline Lucas interview: 'We could be on the edge of something very big'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
£38000 - £42000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Ampersand Consulting LLP: Netw...
£50000 - £55000 per annum: Investigo: A growing group of top end restaurants l...
£200 per day: Ashdown Group: Working within a business that has a high number ...
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: OXFORD - REGIONAL FIRM - An excellent opportu...