A Day That Shook The World: Atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima
Friday 05 August 2011
On 6 August 1945, the US dropped the first atomic bomb on the Japanese town of Hiroshima.
The allies had been firebombing Japan for weeks in an attempt to get them to surrender and put an end to the Second World War. Japanese high command was intransigent, so the decision was made to use nuclear weapons.
It would take a second bomb, on Nagasaki, to finally end the war, but the devastating effects were clear after the first.
Watch original footage of the mission and the devastation in Hiroshima in this British Pathé video, above.
Life & Style blogs
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 2 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
- 5 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...