A Day That Shook The World: Six-Day War begins
Sunday 05 June 2011
On 5 June 1967, following months of growing tension, Israeli forces launched a pre-emptive attack on Arab armies massing in the Sinai desert.
The Israeli army was massively outnumbered by a coalition of Arab nations arrayed against it, but it was well equipped and riding high in morale - allowing it to win a series of spectacular victories.
Israel made vast swathes of territorial gains, capturing Jerusalem from Jordan, the Golan Heights from Syria and overrunning the Egyptian army in the desert. All told, it was a stunning result for a triumphant Israel, which was now many times larger, and which had shown the world exactly how to run a military campaign.
Watch original footage from the desperate rescue attempt in this British Pathé video, above.
Life & Style blogs
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
- 1 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 Men behaving badly: Urinating while standing, 'manspreading' and the gendering of selfishness
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: OXFORD - REGIONAL FIRM - An excellent opportu...
Super Package: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - SENIOR CLINICAL NEGLIGENCE - An outstan...
£15000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Fantastic opportunities are ava...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Compute Engineer is required to join a globa...