Letter: An old musical battle
Tuesday 03 February 1998
My local CD shops shift much more Gorecki than Birtwistle and Ferneyhough. Last Sunday John Adams' Nixon in China got a complete concert performance at the Barbican. ENO is mounting an opera by Gavin Bryars later in the year. John Tavener seems ubiquitous. And who gets to represent the world of music to the movers and shakers in Davos? Pierre Boulez? Gyorgy Kurtg? Thomas Ades, perhaps, for the younger generation? Er, no. Julian Lloyd Webber, actually. If the "die-hard radicalists" really are running a dictatorship, then they should keep a tighter lid on their dissidents.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
NHS property sale could raise £7.5bn to help pay off its growing deficit and free up space for housing
Gay marriage, one year on: Couples mark first anniversary of same-sex marriages
Robert Parker interview: The world's top wine critic on tasting 10,000 bottles a year, absurd drinking notes and New World wannabes
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Germanwings plane crash: Video shows co-pilot Andreas Lubitz learning to fly as a teenager
- 3 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 4 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 5 WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Team Leader is required to join one of the l...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Chef is required to join one of the largest ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Customer Service Assistant is required to jo...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A successful national service f...