Matthew Bourne's triumphant return
Sunday 15 September 1996
The production has lost none of its edge. If anything, the wit is sharper and the dancing more focused, especially in the "White Acts" where the swans' sleek, sly, avian body language seems to have worked its way under the dancers' feathery skins. Scott Ambler's tormented Prince is a tragic hero for our age, Fiona Chadwick's decadent Queen a caution, and Adam Cooper's Swan ... well to judge by the way he danced on Wednesday he's scarcely less than a god.
The last time a ballet made a go of the West End was in 1921 - Diaghilev's Sleeping Princess. The comparison is not invidious. See Bourne's Swan Lake now, or live to regret it. (Piccadilly, W1, 0171 369 1734.)
Threat of 'catastrophic cascade of collisions' must be averted, warn scientists
Life & Style blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Vince Cable: Teachers 'know absolutely nothing' about the world of work
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
- 1 Oxford is the least affordable city in the UK, where houses cost 11 times local salaries
- 2 Australian man Rod Sommerville reacts to bite from deadly snake by reaching for cold beer
- 3 North Korea elections: Kim Jong-un wins 100% of the vote
- 4 David Cameron resorts to paying for Facebook fans because not enough people like him
- 5 Steve Irwin’s final words: Cameraman present at death opens up about deadly stingray attack for the first time
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client is a leading digital agency bu...
£40000 - £45000 per annum: Charter Selection: Global leader in its respective ...
£130 - £161 per day: Randstad Education Nottingham: Do you have a qualificatio...
£6720 - £33600 per annum: Randstad Education Nottingham: The school is much la...