Pop: Maniacs on cute alert
Friday 26 September 1997
Strictly speaking, the band is now 10,000 Maniacs minus one. In 1993, Natalie Merchant left the Maniacs to pursue a solo career, causing many to worry about the future (see their fans' millennium-style hysteria on the Internet).
"More Than This" has replacement vocalist Mary Ramsey singing to a gentle guitar-driven love song. But Natalie Merchant would not approve. As an older Alanis Morissette - more worldly and less self-absorbed - she sung songs about love, but for a brother going to war, or for an unborn child. Always complex, her lyrics and cigarette-rough voice took island rhythms and folkie melodics to a level far away from easy listening.
"More Than This" is pop that'll find you singing. It's a Fleetwood Mac ballad for the Nineties, with lighter guitar and percussion and cutesy vocals.
Merchant, however, would have had you wailing in the shower.
Life & Style blogs
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
- 1 VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
- 2 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 3 The nine most warmongering countries in the world revealed
- 4 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This provider of designer kitch...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: The infrastructure, support services and const...
£28000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£22000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company's mission is to ma...