Rockets on wheels
Saturday 25 May 1996
The heat is on: "The Lucky Fisch", the Pro-fuel dragster, warms its tyres before the racing begins at Santa Pod. Using nitro methane fuel, acceleration can be as fast as 0-100mph in less than a second
Warming up. A set of tyres costs around pounds 500, while the fuel costs pounds 13 per gallon
An owner's child looks on as an RAC scrutineer (hidden) conducts his pre-race examination
Fay Fischer, who runs "The Lucky Fisch" with her husband Paul, prepares for action
Pro-fuel dragster and transporter. The sport was born after the Second World War when Californian kids began illicit street races between traffic lights. In 1964 the British Drag Racing Association was formed
Life & Style blogs
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
£37040 - £43600 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The UK's export credit agency a...
£25000 - £27500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides a compreh...
£16800 - £19500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Would you like to join an organ...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: In the last five years this com...