Television: Today's pick
Monday 19 January 1998
Heroes of Comedy: Peter Cook (9pm C4) No one has a bad word to say about Peter Cook and you begin to wish for some sort of dissention. Perhaps Dudley Moore's absence is the nearest we get to it. Cook's widow, Lin, appears on camera for the first time, however, to talk about their life together.
These Three (1.30pm C4) Sam Goldwyn, when told that the play he had just bought, Lillian Hellman's The Children's Hour, was about lesbians, is said to have replied, "That's okay; we'll turn them into Americans". Even so, this 1936 adaptation is far better than the explicit 1962 version. Bonita Granville was Oscar-nominated as the ghastly, spiteful pupil who spreads lies about her teacher, Merle Oberon, but Miriam Hopkins and Joel McCrea give the really classy performances.
Life & Style blogs
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: The myth of Hamas’s human shields
- 4 Amy Winehouse unpublished 2004 interview: ‘Ten years from now I’ll be 30, so I’ll maybe have one baby’
- 5 Dutch paedophile club to fight their ban at the European Court of Human Rights
£49000 - £55000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My client is...
£48000 - £54000 per annum + Benefits package: Progressive Recruitment: My clie...
£35000 - £45000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: If you're pa...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: SAP Business...