Television: Today's pick
Monday 19 January 1998
Heroes of Comedy: Peter Cook (9pm C4) No one has a bad word to say about Peter Cook and you begin to wish for some sort of dissention. Perhaps Dudley Moore's absence is the nearest we get to it. Cook's widow, Lin, appears on camera for the first time, however, to talk about their life together.
These Three (1.30pm C4) Sam Goldwyn, when told that the play he had just bought, Lillian Hellman's The Children's Hour, was about lesbians, is said to have replied, "That's okay; we'll turn them into Americans". Even so, this 1936 adaptation is far better than the explicit 1962 version. Bonita Granville was Oscar-nominated as the ghastly, spiteful pupil who spreads lies about her teacher, Merle Oberon, but Miriam Hopkins and Joel McCrea give the really classy performances.
Life & Style blogs
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...