The Knack: How to write a poem
Never rhyme id with lid, advises Brian Patten
Saturday 21 June 1997
Is following a trauma-
(`Loved One Eaten By Llama!')
For verse that's McGonagally bad
Fall in love with a hopeless lad,
Or with a woman who, wholly unknowable,
Will have you writing
Verse like this.
But if you wish to be considered Serious
You must make the Average
And to boost the ego and to show
A wider knowledge of your Art
You must never rhyme the id with lid,
But choose instead the chromatid
And if you find that sight-rhymes bore
Then aim your sights at Arkansas.
But for poems that can make the closed heart sing,
For lines that are clear and that strike true.
Remind us of what we forgot we knew"
A new edition of `Mr Moon's Last Case', for which Brian Patten won a Mystery Writers of American Special Award, is published by Puffin Books on 26 June at pounds 4.99
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Life & Style blogs
Autumn Statement 2013: Car tax disc scrapped after 93 years
The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
The 50 Best Christmas Gifts for Women
Two million passwords stolen from Facebook, Twitter and Google
Flock star: A shepherd in the Lake District now has almost 20,000 Twitter followers
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 3 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 4 ‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert
- 5 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government
£35000 - £38000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: VB.NET SQL CSS Develop...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£21000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Graduate QA/Graduate T...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: PHP Developer (MySQL, ...