The List: Choice Film
Monday 22 September 1997
Director Sidney Lumet started out in 1957 directing Twelve Angry Men. Twenty years on, he was still great, blasting the media in Network, but what has he served up recently? The frankly unbelievable Close to Eden, in which Melanie Griffith goes underground in the Hasidic community. (You may have to read that last sentence twice.) Guilty as Sin was just as ridiculous, but his intelligent new movie is a return to form, as a district attorney investigates police corruption. Sounds like your basic genre picture, but there are moments of startling originality and the cast alone - Andy Garcia (above) and Ian Holm - demands your attendance.
Life & Style blogs
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn accused of 'deluding' young supporters with 'claptrap'
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Iain Duncan Smith calls for urgent ESA overhaul as part of drive to cut down welfare costs
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 Celebrity Big Brother 2015: Tila Tequila kicked off show after 'describing Hitler as a good man'
- 4 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
£18000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Executive or Senior Sal...
£40000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This industry leading company produces h...
£20000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT provider for the educat...