Professional counsellors: Available to deal with a wide range of problems, or just provide a sympathetic ear if you feel you need to talk.

Welfare Officers: Sabbatical and full-time NUS staff trained to give serious, credible advice on a wide range of subjects from the mundane everyday queries to accommodation, finance, discrimination and disputes with the university.

Financial Counsellors: Can help you manage your resources, advise on benefits and grants and advise you on the best course of action should you find yourself in financial trouble.

Careers Service: Run by student services and not just there for your final year! Can also help with finding summer jobs, work experience and volunteer projects to enhance your CV.

Health: Many colleges and universities have medical centres at which you can register. Remember to take your medical card with you when you leave for college. If there is no medical centre available it is advisable to register with a local doctor and dentist as soon as possible.

Legal: Legal advice is sometimes available in student law centres, staffed by volunteer solicitors. If there is no law centre available, contact your student welfare advice centre or the local citizens advice bureau for help.

Samaritans: To talk to someone in complete confidence, who will do no more than listen to you and understand you, call 0345 909090 (calls charged at local rates)