WHY ARE THEY FAMOUS?: Pierce Brosnan
Sunday 28 November 1999
007. The James Bond of the Nineties. Pierce Brosnan has single-handedly rescued the role from eternal Sean Connery nostalgia. His latest Bond flick, The World Is Not Enough, opened here on Friday. "One thing I know is that I won't become an old pot-bellied slouch yet," explains our hero, who does his own stunts and can still lift an eyebrow. What a man.
James Bond. Gorgeous cad. Mannequin in Debenhams complete with casually undone bowtie. Lara Croft's lover.
"Hopefully I play the part in a convincing manner," intones Mr Debonair. Our hero, however, had to undergo a make-over before he was allowed near a Martini glass. Early snaps reveal a chubby-chopped, snaggle-toothed ugly with an urgent need for a barber. Seventies pals described him as "a funny looking chap, rather overweight, with greased back hair".
Born in Co Meath, the Bondlet started out as an altar boy. He moved to London at 12. He worked as a mini cab driver, as you do, before plying his trade in the West End and starring in that hilariously titled detective series, Remington Steele.
After the wet and appalling Timothy Dalton, Brosnan, 46, is 007 incarnate. So the chauvinist dinosaur of a role lumbers into the millennium. The latest features Brosnan in a caviar factory on the Caspian Sea and atop the roof of the Millennium Dome. Well, naturally.
Unfortunately for our purposes, Brosnan is neither a womaniser nor a serial spouse. In 1981, he married Cassandra Harris, aptly a former Bond girl, and stayed madly in love until she died a decade later. "No one could ever replace Cassie," he says. He is father to four, including his latest son, one Dylan Thomas, by long-term girlfriend, journalist Keely Shaye-Smith.
Pierce needs to wear a sporran or sport a scandalous love life if he is to stay in Hello!. An affair with Ginger Spice or a mayoral run-in would also suffice. Loosen up, Pierce, lovey, and give us all something to laugh about. Shaken, not stirred, etc.
Life & Style blogs
Penis size study: what's 'normal' anyway?
Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
Penis size: is there a correlation with sexual satisfaction? A scientific look
Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 3 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway in dense fog
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 The majority of sex workers enjoy their job - why should we find that surprising?
£14400 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join a multi-d...
£34000 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This provider of Energy Consult...
£50000 - £70000 per annum + Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - FIRST CL...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A leading Leicestershire based chilled food ma...