Win tickets to see Dick Whittington at Sadler's Wells
Sunday 12 December 1999
Accompanied by the most famous cat in panto, Dick encounters many colourful characters on his magical journey to a city where the streets are paved with gold. These include Grimaldi, the 19th- century clown who originally established pantomime at Sadler's Wells.
The tickets on offer are for the performance at 11am on Friday 24 December, promising the perfect start to Christmas.
For the chance to be among the winners, answer the following three questions:
1) In which year did the real Dick Whittington become Lord Mayor of London?
2) Who built the first theatre at the Sadler's Wells site in 1765?
3) From which theatrical genre is the English pantomime derived?
Send your answers, along with your name, address and daytime telephone number, to: Dick Whittington Competition, Culture, Independent on Sunday, One Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5DL, to arrive by Thursday 16 December. Senders of the first 10 correctly answered entries to be pulled from the hat after the closing date will each receive a pair of tickets. No cash alternative. The editor's decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into. Usual competition rules apply. The results will be published next Sunday.
Ensor competition result
The answers were: Jacques Brel; Victor Horta; Bourse. The prize of a weekend for two in Brussels was won by Mrs R Jones of London NW1.
Win tickets to see the National Theatre's acclaimed production of The Merchant of Venice
Life & Style blogs
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time: 10 worst gadgets of recent times
The secret to a great sex life revealed: Two cups of coffee a day
New Zealand 'the best country to work as a prostitute', says sex worker advocacy group
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Facebook status updates indicates whether a user is narcissistic or neurotic, research finds
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 New Zealand 'the best country to work as a prostitute', says sex worker advocacy group
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...