Consumer rights: House nightmare – from the builder's point of view

Customer who ignored advice won't pay the full amount

Q. I have just spent 10 days doing building work on a customer's home.

Before we started the work, which included laying a wooden floor, rebuilding her porch and putting in new garage doors, I visited, measured up, gave her information and recommendations on all the materials she needed and gave her a detailed quote for labour. She bought and paid for the materials but some of them weren't as good quality as I had advised.

We agreed that she would pay half of the money for the labour when half of the work was done and the rest on completion. Along the way she changed her mind several times on various details and, as a result, the whole thing has taken longer than it should have done. However, I like to keep my customers happy and do the best possible job so that they recommend me to other people, so in the end I just charged her the agreed outstanding amount.

She has now paid me but held back half of that amount (a quarter of the total) because she says she's not happy with the wooden floor and wants me to put it right. The floor has been laid to a very high standard. It's true that it would have looked better if she'd bought the more expensive wood I suggested in the first place, but I can't change anything without taking up the whole floor and laying it again with different wood – all of which would cost me more than she still owes me. I have tried to explain all that but she isn't listening. I'm out of pocket as it is. I feel she is trying to get the job on the cheap. How do I get her to hand over the rest of the money?

FL, London

A. This is a difficult one. If your customer had written to me she'd have said she withheld a quarter of your money until you put right a wooden floor that hadn't been finished properly. She'd have asked me how to get you to come back and finish the job. She's seeing the end result and it's not as good as she imagined when she decided to have the work done. You're seeing work well done despite the inferior materials that were her choice.

It's very difficult for a third party, without any experience of these types of jobs, to decide who is right and who is wrong. So you need an independent expert to give an assessment of the job and negotiate a settlement. I hope you still have all the paperwork, including details of the materials you advised her to buy. If the expert says the floor is well laid and convinces your customer that the fault lies in the materials she bought, she may give in and pay up. Do you belong to a trade association which offers a dispute resolution service? If so, I suggest it as a way forward.

If you can't get the situation resolved through mediation, you have two choices: cut your losses and walk away or make a claim in the county court through the process that deals with small claims. I wonder whether you took any photographs of the disputed work. If not, it's not likely that your customer will let you back into the house to take some; without detailed photos it's your word against hers in court.

The judge isn't likely to be a flooring expert and, unless he or she decides an independent assessor should assess the quality of the work. it will come down to who does the best job of convincing the judge that they are in the right. You do have your workers who can act as witnesses but they may not be seen to be unbiased. You'll have to decide whether to take your chances and risk losing the court fees and the time the case takes.

Q. My parents have recently bought a stair lift which cost them several thousand pounds that they can't afford. Someone called at the house and I get the impression they stayed until my dad cracked and signed an agreement. The irony is that they can both get up and down the stairs fine at the moment and have always intended to sell the house and move into a flat near me when they get too much to cope with. I think they've been pressured into this agreement. I've called the company and asked them to cancel it but they say it's too late and that they won't deal with me. Can it be cancelled and is there anyone we can complain to?

JO, Surrey

A. Pressure selling to elderly people of items such as stair lifts isn't a new complaint. As you weren't there at the time it might be difficult to get to the bottom of how this visit came about. Try to find out from your parents whether the representative of this company turned up on the doorstep without invitation or visited following an initial unsolicited phone call.

If, as it seems from what you say, your parents had an unsolicited call from the rep, they should have had a seven-day cooling off period and that should have been put in writing. If it wasn't, the contract is void and they should get their money back. Stair lifts are mobility items and so the company selling them is obliged to carry out a proper needs assessment. It sounds unlikely that they did.

Get on to the company straight away. If you still get nowhere, call your local trading standards department at your local authority.

Do you have a consumer complaint?

Write to Julian Knight at The Independent on Sunday, 2 Derry Street, London W8 5HF

Susan Sarandon described David Bowie as
peopleSusan Sarandon reveals more on her David Bowie romance
sportDidier Drogba returns to Chelsea on one-year deal
Arts and Entertainment
Christian Grey cradles Ana in the Fifty Shades of Grey film
filmFifty Shades of Grey trailer provokes moral outrage in US
Louis van Gaal would have been impressed with Darren Fletcher’s performance against LA Galaxy during Manchester United’s 7-0 victory
The new dawn heralded by George Osborne has yet to rise
voicesJames Moore: As the Tories rub their hands together, the average voter will be asking why they're not getting a piece of the action
newsComedy club forced to apologise as maggots eating a dead pigeon fall out of air-conditioning
Arts and Entertainment
Jo Brand says she's mellowed a lot
tvJo Brand says shows encourage people to laugh at the vulnerable
Rhys Williams
commonwealth games
Life and Style
People may feel that they're procrastinating by watching TV in the evening
Arts and Entertainment
Southern charm: Nicolas Cage and Tye Sheridan in ‘Joe’
filmReview: Actor delivers astonishing performance in low budget drama
Isis fighters travel in a vehicle as they take part in a military parade along the streets of Syria's northern Raqqa province
Life and Style
fashionLatex dresses hit the catwalk to raise awareness for HIV and Aids
Life and Style
The veteran poverty campaigner Sir Bob Geldof issues a stark challenge to emerging economies at the Melbourne HIV/Aids conference
Arts and Entertainment
Benedict Cumberbatch and John Malkovich talk Penguins of Madagascar at Comic-Con
comic-con 2014Cumberbatch fans banned from asking about Sherlock at Comic-Con
Arts and Entertainment
Chris Pratt stars in Guardians of the Galaxy
filmGuardians Of The Galaxy should have taken itself a bit more seriously, writes Geoffrey Macnab
Finacial products from our partners
Property search
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    The benefits of being in Recruitment at SThree...

    £18000 - £23000 per annum + Comission: SThree: SThree, International Recruitme...

    Test Analyst - UAT - Credit Risk

    £280 - £300 per day + competitive: Orgtel: Test Analyst, Edinburgh, Credit Ris...

    Trainee Recruitment Consultants - Banking & Finance

    £20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000: SThree: SThree Group have been well e...

    Graduate Recruitment Resourcers - Banking Technologies

    £18000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000: SThree: Huxley Associates are looking...

    Day In a Page

    Backhanders, bribery and abuses of power have soared in China as economy surges

    Bribery and abuses of power soar in China

    The bribery is fuelled by the surge in China's economy but the rules of corruption are subtle and unspoken, finds Evan Osnos, as he learns the dark arts from a master
    Commonwealth Games 2014: Highland terriers stole the show at the opening ceremony

    Highland terriers steal the show at opening ceremony

    Gillian Orr explores why a dog loved by film stars and presidents is finally having its day
    German art world rocked as artists use renowned fat sculpture to distil schnapps

    Brewing the fat from artwork angers widow of sculptor

    Part of Joseph Beuys' 1982 sculpture 'Fettecke' used to distil schnapps
    BBC's The Secret History of Our Streets reveals a fascinating window into Britain's past

    BBC takes viewers back down memory lane

    The Secret History of Our Streets, which returns with three films looking at Scottish streets, is the inverse of Benefits Street - delivering warmth instead of cynicism
    Joe, film review: Nicolas Cage delivers an astonishing performance in low budget drama

    Nicolas Cage shines in low-budget drama Joe

    Cage plays an ex-con in David Gordon Green's independent drama, which has been adapted from a novel by Larry Brown
    How to make your own gourmet ice lollies, granitas, slushy cocktails and frozen yoghurt

    Make your own ice lollies and frozen yoghurt

    Think outside the cool box for this summer's tempting frozen treats
    Ford Fiesta is UK's most popular car of all-time, with sales topping 4.1 million since 1976

    Fiesta is UK's most popular car of all-time

    Sales have topped 4.1 million since 1976. To celebrate this milestone, four Independent writers recall their Fiestas with pride
    10 best reed diffusers

    Heaven scent: 10 best reed diffusers

    Keep your rooms smelling summery and fresh with one of these subtle but distinctive home fragrances that’ll last you months
    Commonwealth Games 2014: Female boxers set to compete for first time

    Female boxers set to compete at Commonwealth Games for first time

    There’s no favourites and with no headguards anything could happen
    Five things we’ve learned so far about Manchester United under Louis van Gaal

    Five things we’ve learned so far about United under Van Gaal

    It’s impossible to avoid the impression that the Dutch manager is playing to the gallery a little
    Screwing your way to the top? Good for Lana Del Rey for helping kill that myth

    Screwing your way to the top?

    Good for Lana Del Rey for helping kill that myth, says Grace Dent
    Will the young Britons fighting in Syria be allowed to return home and resume their lives?

    Will Britons fighting in Syria be able to resume their lives?

    Tony Blair's Terrorism Act 2006 has made it an offence to take part in military action abroad with a "political, ideological, religious or racial motive"
    Beyoncé poses as Rosie the Riveter, the wartime poster girl who became a feminist pin-up

    Beyoncé poses as Rosie the Riveter

    The wartime poster girl became the ultimate American symbol of female empowerment
    The quest to find the perfect pair of earphones: Are custom, 3D printed earbuds the solution?

    The quest to find the perfect pair of earphones

    Earphones don't fit properly, offer mediocre audio quality and can even be painful. So the quest to design the perfect pair is music to Seth Stevenson's ears
    US Army's shooting star: Lt-Col Steven Cole is the man Hollywood calls when it wants to borrow a tank or check a military uniform

    Meet the US Army's shooting star

    Lt-Col Steven Cole is the man Hollywood calls when it wants to borrow a tank or check a military uniform