How to get a nicer ISA to boost your children's savings

Tax-free accounts for youngsters can provide wildly differing returns, so find a good deal

It's two years since junior ISAs (tax-free savings and investment accounts for children) were launched. It's fair to say they're not a runaway success as just under 300,000 have been taken out since launch, according to Government figures.

However, the millions of parents whose offspring have child trust funds (CTFs), the previous government's tax-free savings account for children, may be losing out. That's because rates on some CTFs have fallen while other providers with competitive rates on junior ISAs don't offer a child trust fund equivalent.

The rules say your child can only have a junior ISA or a child trust fund, not both, and you can pay up to £3,720 into either of them in the current tax year.

The Government is consulting on letting parents transfer CTFs into junior ISAs and, hopefully, George Osborne will give the go-ahead in the Autumn Statement next month. But at the moment it's not something you can do. So how can you maximise the return on your child's savings?

Junior ISAs – best rates

You can invest money for your child through a stocks and shares junior ISA, rather than save it, and you should do better over the longer term. However, investment returns aren't guaranteed and cash junior ISAs are still popular with parents.

You can easily get an account paying three per cent or more on a cash junior ISA, although the top payer, Halifax's junior ISA, pays double that at six per cent.

The catch is that you have to have at least £1 in an adult cash ISA with Halifax. If you don't, the rate drops to three per cent.

Coventry building society's junior ISA pays 3.25 per cent, while Nationwide pays 3.25 per cent until the end of January 2015, when the rate falls to 2.1 per cent.

Mansfield and Skipton building societies both pay a smidge over three per cent at 3.05 and 3.02 per cent respectively.

As with ordinary cash ISAs, you can transfer a junior cash ISA for a better rate although not all providers (Nationwide is one example) take transfers in.

Check your child trust fund rate

If you have an older child who has a child trust fund, the rate may well have fallen – possibly sharply.

But you can still get three per cent interest for the first year, then 2.3 per cent, from the Yorkshire building society. An alternative is Skipton building society, at 2.65 per cent. Both these accounts accept transfers in from existing CTFs.

Tax-free interest

Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to take out a junior ISA or child trust fund for your child to get interest paid tax-free. Like adults, all children have a personal allowance (currently £9,440), which means they can earn up to this level in income without paying tax.

So, unless your child is earning, they can have many thousands in the bank before they'd have to pay tax on the interest.

However, there is a limit on how much parents can pay into their child's account (designed to stop them turning their children into their own personal tax havens).

The rules say each parent cannot generate more than £100 a year in gross interest from the amount that they pay into their child's savings account(s).

Getting interest paid tax-free

If you want interest on your child's account to be paid without the tax taken off, you have to fill in a form called R85, which is available from banks and building societies.

If your child has already paid tax on interest, they can claim it back using a form called R40.

Taxable accounts to consider

Halifax offers a taxable account paying six per cent for one year, but it's a regular saver account and you can only pay in between £10 and £100 a month. Lloyds bank is next with its Young Saver account paying three per cent on balances up to £20,000.


The signs are that the Government will change the current nonsensical rules that ban transfers from a child trust fund into a junior ISA.

If it doesn't, check the interest rate on your child's current CTF and transfer it to another CTF provider if you can get a better rate. And if your child has generous relatives and can save more than the junior ISA/CTF allowance, use a taxable account but get interest paid tax-free.

Independent Partners; Do you need financial advice on your investments, pension or insurance? Book a free consultation with an independent Financial Adviser at

election 2015The 10 best quotes of the campaign
A caravan being used as a polling station in Ford near Salisbury, during the 2010 election
election 2015The Independent's guide to get you through polling day
David Blunkett joins the Labour candidate for Redcar Anna Turley on a campaigning visit last month
voicesWhat I learnt from my years in government, by the former Home Secretary David Blunkett
Finacial products from our partners
Property search
  • Get to the point
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    Ashdown Group: Editor-in-chief - Financial Services - City, London

    £60000 - £70000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...

    Ashdown Group: Junior Application Support Analyst - Fluent German Speaker

    £25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A global leader operating...

    Guru Careers: Management Accountant

    £27 - 35k + Bonus + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Management Accountant is needed ...

    Guru Careers: Project Manager / Business Analyst

    £40-50k + Benefits.: Guru Careers: A Project Manager / Business Analyst is nee...

    Day In a Page

    General Election 2015: ‘We will not sit down with Nicola Sturgeon’, says Ed Balls

    'We will not sit down with Nicola Sturgeon'

    In an exclusive interview, Ed Balls says he won't negotiate his first Budget with SNP MPs - even if Labour need their votes to secure its passage
    VE Day 70th anniversary: How ordinary Britons celebrated the end of war in Europe

    How ordinary Britons celebrated VE Day

    Our perception of VE Day usually involves crowds of giddy Britons casting off the shackles of war with gay abandon. The truth was more nuanced
    They came in with William Caxton's printing press, but typefaces still matter in the digital age

    Typefaces still matter in the digital age

    A new typeface once took years to create, now thousands are available at the click of a drop-down menu. So why do most of us still rely on the old classics, asks Meg Carter?
    Discovery of 'missing link' between the two main life-forms on Earth could explain evolution of animals, say scientists

    'Missing link' between Earth's two life-forms found

    New microbial species tells us something about our dark past, say scientists
    The Pan Am Experience is a 'flight' back to the 1970s that never takes off - at least, not literally

    Pan Am Experience: A 'flight' back to the 70s

    Tim Walker checks in and checks out a four-hour journey with a difference
    Humans aren't alone in indulging in politics - it's everywhere in the animal world

    Humans aren't alone in indulging in politics

    Voting, mutual back-scratching, coups and charismatic leaders - it's everywhere in the animal world
    Crisp sales are in decline - but this tasty trivia might tempt back the turncoats

    Crisp sales are in decline

    As a nation we're filling up on popcorn and pitta chips and forsaking their potato-based predecessors
    Ronald McDonald the muse? Why Banksy, Ron English and Keith Coventry are lovin' Maccy D's

    Ronald McDonald the muse

    A new wave of artists is taking inspiration from the fast food chain
    13 best picnic blankets

    13 best picnic blankets

    Dine al fresco without the grass stains and damp bottoms with something from our pick of picnic rugs
    Barcelona 3 Bayern Munich 0 player ratings: Lionel Messi scores twice - but does he score highest in our ratings?

    Barcelona vs Bayern Munich player ratings

    Lionel Messi scores twice - but does he score highest in our ratings?
    Martin Guptill: Explosive New Zealand batsman who sets the range for Kiwis' big guns

    Explosive batsman who sets the range for Kiwis' big guns

    Martin Guptill has smashed early runs for Derbyshire and tells Richard Edwards to expect more from the 'freakish' Brendon McCullum and his buoyant team during their tour of England
    General Election 2015: Ed Miliband's unlikely journey from hapless geek to heart-throb

    Miliband's unlikely journey from hapless geek to heart-throb

    He was meant to be Labour's biggest handicap - but has become almost an asset
    General Election 2015: A guide to the smaller parties, from the the National Health Action Party to the Church of the Militant Elvis Party

    On the margins

    From Militant Elvis to Women's Equality: a guide to the underdogs standing in the election
    Amr Darrag: Ex-Muslim Brotherhood minister in exile still believes Egypt's military regime can be replaced with 'moderate' Islamic rule

    'This is the battle of young Egypt for the future of our country'

    Ex-Muslim Brotherhood minister Amr Darrag still believes the opposition can rid Egypt of its military regime and replace it with 'moderate' Islamic rule, he tells Robert Fisk
    Why patients must rely less on doctors: Improving our own health is the 'blockbuster drug of the century'

    Why patients must rely less on doctors

    Improving our own health is the 'blockbuster drug of the century'