How to steer clear of the motoring minefields

George Campbell highlights the perils of having to make an unscheduled pitstop in foreign territory

Whether you are only making a day trip across the Channel to France, driving on business or holidaying overseas, both the AA and the RAC reckon it is vital that you take out full insurance cover before setting off.

If not, the consequences could prove expensive, particularly if you are involved in an accident or if your car is stolen.

A breakdown requiring recovery from Rome to London, can cost more than pounds 1,000, for instance.

"Even basic roadside assistance can cost an average of pounds 90 when you're abroad," says the RAC.

Staying abroad while your vehicle is repaired is not a cheap solution. Hiring a car for seven days costs pounds 400 on average, while freighting repair parts from the UK could add a further pounds 114 to your final bill.

Personal repatriation due to vehicle breakdown, theft or driver illness is even more costly. A party of four from Rome to London can expect fares of between pounds 800 and pounds 1,200. Should expert medical help and a fully equipped flying ambulance be required, then costs rocket.

Your UK motor-insurance policy will already cover you to drive abroad, but it only provides the minimum cover required by law in the EC region and does not include theft, fire or damage to your vehicle, and may not completely cover your liability to other people. So it's wise to ensure that you have the same level of cover when abroad as you have in the UK.

AA Insurance highlights the fact that one in four insurance companies make a charge to extend cover abroad. On average, this is a flat fee of pounds 21, but some insurers charge as much as pounds 24 plus a 70p a day surcharge, bringing the cost of a two-week trip to pounds 33.80p

Among the cheapest deals at the moment are those offered by Eagle Star Direct and Zurich Municipal, which include 60 days overseas cover in their policies. By contrast, Direct Line charges pounds 31 a month.

"The whole issue is a minefield for the consumer," says AA Insurance man Andrew Howard. He advises policy-holders when comparing general motor premiums from one company to the next, to check that they won't be asked to stump up extra premiums every time they take their car abroad.

The RAC is calling on the insurance industry to issue annual cover for Europe as part of any motoring policy.

Ask your insurer for a Green Card before you go. It provides no cover in itself, but is widely accepted by authorities abroad as cover provided by your policy. The RAC's insurance compliance manager, Nigel Richardson, said: "It's becoming less important to carry a Green Card within the EU, but some countries and some insurers still insist on it or will limit cover to the legal minimum required in the country in which the vehicle is being driven."

The Green Card can also save time and frustration if there is an accident, as police officers throughout Europe can easily recognise it.

The RAC issues 58,000 policies every year, yet still receives calls from British motorists having problems in continental Europe and don't possess comprehensive motoring or personal cover.

Insurance adviser James Wootten stresses the need to examine your policy carefully before the holiday because a policy that appears cheaper than its rivals it can turn out to be more expensive if key benefits that a competitor offers cheaper, or free, are taken into account.

"Most insurance companies will penalise you if you switch mid-year, but if you ask them for extra cover when you renew your policy, you should get an attractive offer and, in many cases, it could be free."

Independent Partners; Do you need financial advice on your investments, pension or insurance? Book a free consultation with an independent Financial Adviser at

Life and Style
love + sex
Arts and Entertainment
Victoria Wood, Kayvan Novak, Alexa Chung, Chris Moyles
tvReview: No soggy bottoms, but plenty of other baking disasters on The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
Ashley Young celebrates the winner for Manchester United against Newcastle
footballNewcastle 0 Man United 1: Last minute strike seals precious victory
Life and Style
Tikka Masala has been overtaken by Jalfrezi as the nation's most popular curry
food + drink
Arts and Entertainment
Seth Rogan is one of America’s most famous pot smokers
filmAmy Pascal resigned after her personal emails were leaked following a cyber-attack sparked by the actor's film The Interview
Benjamin Netanyahu and his cartoon bomb – the Israeli PM shows his ‘evidence’
Arts and Entertainment
80s trailblazer: comedian Tracey Ullman
Life and Style
A statue of the Flemish geographer Gerard Kremer, Geradus Mercator (1512 - 1594) which was unveiled at the Geographical Congree at Anvers. He was the first person to use the word atlas to describe a book of maps.
techThe 16th century cartographer created the atlas
Arts and Entertainment
Stephen Tompkinson is back as DCI Banks
tvReview: Episode one of the new series played it safe, but at least this drama has a winning formula
Finacial products from our partners
Property search
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    Ashdown Group: Graduate Application Support Analyst

    £25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A global leader operating...

    Reach Volunteering: External Finance Trustee Needed!

    Voluntary post, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Would you ...

    Christine McCleave: FP&A Analyst

    £36,000 - £40,000: Christine McCleave: Are you looking for a new opportunity a...

    Recruitment Genius: Sales Executive - OTE £40,000

    £15000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity for...

    Day In a Page

    War with Isis: Iraq's government fights to win back Tikrit from militants - but then what?

    Baghdad fights to win back Tikrit from Isis – but then what?

    Patrick Cockburn reports from Kirkuk on a conflict which sectarianism has made intractable
    Living with Alzheimer's: What is it really like to be diagnosed with early-onset dementia?

    What is it like to live with Alzheimer's?

    Depicting early-onset Alzheimer's, the film 'Still Alice' had a profound effect on Joy Watson, who lives with the illness. She tells Kate Hilpern how she's coped with the diagnosis
    The Internet of Things: Meet the British salesman who gave real-world items a virtual life

    Setting in motion the Internet of Things

    British salesman Kevin Ashton gave real-world items a virtual life
    Election 2015: Latest polling reveals Tories and Labour on course to win the same number of seats - with the SNP holding the balance of power

    Election 2015: A dead heat between Mr Bean and Dick Dastardly!

    Lord Ashcroft reveals latest polling – and which character voters associate with each leader
    Audiences queue up for 'true stories told live' as cult competition The Moth goes global

    Cult competition The Moth goes global

    The non-profit 'slam storytelling' competition was founded in 1997 by the novelist George Dawes Green and has seen Malcolm Gladwell, Salman Rushdie and Molly Ringwald all take their turn at the mic
    Pakistani women come out fighting: A hard-hitting play focuses on female Muslim boxers

    Pakistani women come out fighting

    Hard-hitting new play 'No Guts, No Heart, No Glory' focuses on female Muslim boxers
    Leonora Carrington transcended her stolid background to become an avant garde star

    Surreal deal: Leonora Carrington

    The artist transcended her stolid background to become an avant garde star
    LGBT History Month: Pupils discuss topics from Sappho to same-sex marriage

    Education: LGBT History Month

    Pupils have been discussing topics from Sappho to same-sex marriage
    11 best gel eyeliners

    Go bold this season: 11 best gel eyeliners

    Use an ink pot eyeliner to go bold on the eyes with this season's feline flicked winged liner
    Cricket World Cup 2015: Tournament runs riot to make the event more hit than miss...

    Cricket World Cup runs riot to make the event more hit than miss...

    The tournament has reached its halfway mark and scores of 300 and amazing catches abound. One thing never changes, though – everyone loves beating England
    Katarina Johnson-Thompson: Heptathlete ready to jump at first major title

    Katarina Johnson-Thompson: Ready to jump at first major title

    After her 2014 was ruined by injury, 21-year-old Briton is leading pentathlete going into this week’s European Indoors. Now she intends to turn form into gold
    Syrian conflict is the world's first 'climate change war', say scientists, but it won't be the last one

    Climate change key in Syrian conflict

    And it will trigger more war in future
    How I outwitted the Gestapo

    How I outwitted the Gestapo

    My life as a Jew in wartime Berlin
    The nation's favourite animal revealed

    The nation's favourite animal revealed

    Women like cuddly creatures whilst men like creepy-crawlies
    Is this the way to get young people to vote?

    Getting young people to vote

    From #VOTESELFISH to Bite the Ballot