Questions of Cash: Euro pension runs into a problem with Lloyds in the Isle of Man


Q. I receive a pension from the Netherlands. For four years my pension fund transferred my payments to my Lloyds offshore euro account in the Isle of Man without problem. In July, Dutch banks began implementing Europe's SEPA system. Now my Lloyds branch refuses to accept the payments. Lloyds told me to instruct the Dutch bank to revert to the old system as Lloyds in the Isle of Man is not changing to the SEPA system. YL, Somerset.

A. SEPA is the Single Euro Payments Area and is designed to speed up and improve payment transfers that are conducted in euros. As the Isle of Man is not part of the EU, banks there are not required to make their accounts SEPA enabled. However, Lloyds said: "We were unable to obtain evidence of any of [the reader's] pension payments being rejected. Spot checks were carried out on the pension payments coming into his account and I can confirm that all payments checked were credited effectively and timely without any problems or delays... Whilst Lloyds Banking International Ltd does not offer accounts based within the EU, we do offer some accounts, including euro accounts, which are SEPA enabled." We attempted to discuss the matter with your pension fund in the Netherlands, but were unable to locate anyone who spoke English. Meanwhile, you resolved the problem by closing the Lloyds account and opening a euro account with HSBC.

My daughter is British but I was denied child benefit

Q. In September 2007 I delivered my daughter at a London hospital. I applied for child benefit immediately, but this was denied. I appealed, but the tribunal decided I was not entitled to it because I was subject to immigration control and did not satisfy the prescribed requirement. I appealed again but benefit was again disallowed on the same grounds, that I am an asylum seeker. I was surprised to learn from the Home Office that my child was a British citizen by virtue of her father being British. If my daughter were British at birth, should she not be entitled to child benefit, regardless of my immigration status? Is it too late to claim my child-benefit entitlement now? TA, London.

A. A spokesman for HMRC responds: "Eligibility for child benefit depends on a number of different factors, but all are based on eligibility of the recipient – not the child. One of the main tests for child benefit is around residence – you need to have a 'right to reside' in the UK, or be an 'ordinary resident'. Further guidance can be found at

If the customer still feels she is eligible, she needs to contact the child-benefit helpline which will look into the details of her claim on 0300 200 3100." Pól Callaghan of Citizens Advice provided a more-detailed explanation. He said: "Child benefit is paid to a person who is responsible for a child or qualifying young person. The responsible adult must pass residence and presence tests and not be subject to immigration control. If you are subject to immigration control you do not have recourse to public funds. The immigration status of the child is irrelevant.

"You can backdate tax credits, child benefit and guardian's allowance to the date of your asylum application only if you have been granted refugee leave. You can't backdate these claims if you have only been granted other types of leave, as you must have been recognised as a refugee in accordance with the 1951 Refugee Convention to qualify. In general, a revision or supersession can only be applied within a time limit of 13 months."

Our English Dell computer wouldn't work in France

Q. We bought a Dell Vostro PC in April and a technician set it up in our English home. It seemed to work fine, so we took it to France. After a couple of days it stopped working. I phoned Dell, which said we had to speak to Dell France. After a long time on the phone we found it could not be fixed. I was promised by Dell in England that a technician would visit us in France. But Dell got confused and someone came to our house in England.

When we next visited France promised software had not arrived and the person who was going to home visit us had gone on holiday. We then took the PC back to England to request a replacement. We were told this was not Dell's policy, but they would send out a technician to replace the motherboard and hard drive. The computer is now working, but I want compensation for the £77.50 I paid to bring the PC back to England. PS, Buckinghamshire.

A. Dell points out that the collect and return warranty only applies in the UK. Dell says it was as a gesture of goodwill that it connected you with a service engineer in France. It was also, says Dell, a gesture of goodwill that it offered to send out a technician to your home address in England, although home service was also not included in the terms of your purchase. Its spokeswoman added: "Costs associated with the transport of the laptop between the two countries are the customers' own."

Questions of Cash cannot give individual advice. But we'll do our best to help if you have a financial dilemma. Email us at: questions

Independent Partners; Do you need financial advice on your investments, pension or insurance? Book a free consultation with an independent Financial Adviser at

election 2015The 10 best quotes of the campaign
A caravan being used as a polling station in Ford near Salisbury, during the 2010 election
election 2015The Independent's guide to get you through polling day
David Blunkett joins the Labour candidate for Redcar Anna Turley on a campaigning visit last month
voicesWhat I learnt from my years in government, by the former Home Secretary David Blunkett
Finacial products from our partners
Property search
  • Get to the point
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    Ashdown Group: Editor-in-chief - Financial Services - City, London

    £60000 - £70000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...

    Ashdown Group: Junior Application Support Analyst - Fluent German Speaker

    £25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A global leader operating...

    Guru Careers: Management Accountant

    £27 - 35k + Bonus + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Management Accountant is needed ...

    Guru Careers: Project Manager / Business Analyst

    £40-50k + Benefits.: Guru Careers: A Project Manager / Business Analyst is nee...

    Day In a Page

    General Election 2015: ‘We will not sit down with Nicola Sturgeon’, says Ed Balls

    'We will not sit down with Nicola Sturgeon'

    In an exclusive interview, Ed Balls says he won't negotiate his first Budget with SNP MPs - even if Labour need their votes to secure its passage
    VE Day 70th anniversary: How ordinary Britons celebrated the end of war in Europe

    How ordinary Britons celebrated VE Day

    Our perception of VE Day usually involves crowds of giddy Britons casting off the shackles of war with gay abandon. The truth was more nuanced
    They came in with William Caxton's printing press, but typefaces still matter in the digital age

    Typefaces still matter in the digital age

    A new typeface once took years to create, now thousands are available at the click of a drop-down menu. So why do most of us still rely on the old classics, asks Meg Carter?
    Discovery of 'missing link' between the two main life-forms on Earth could explain evolution of animals, say scientists

    'Missing link' between Earth's two life-forms found

    New microbial species tells us something about our dark past, say scientists
    The Pan Am Experience is a 'flight' back to the 1970s that never takes off - at least, not literally

    Pan Am Experience: A 'flight' back to the 70s

    Tim Walker checks in and checks out a four-hour journey with a difference
    Humans aren't alone in indulging in politics - it's everywhere in the animal world

    Humans aren't alone in indulging in politics

    Voting, mutual back-scratching, coups and charismatic leaders - it's everywhere in the animal world
    Crisp sales are in decline - but this tasty trivia might tempt back the turncoats

    Crisp sales are in decline

    As a nation we're filling up on popcorn and pitta chips and forsaking their potato-based predecessors
    Ronald McDonald the muse? Why Banksy, Ron English and Keith Coventry are lovin' Maccy D's

    Ronald McDonald the muse

    A new wave of artists is taking inspiration from the fast food chain
    13 best picnic blankets

    13 best picnic blankets

    Dine al fresco without the grass stains and damp bottoms with something from our pick of picnic rugs
    Barcelona 3 Bayern Munich 0 player ratings: Lionel Messi scores twice - but does he score highest in our ratings?

    Barcelona vs Bayern Munich player ratings

    Lionel Messi scores twice - but does he score highest in our ratings?
    Martin Guptill: Explosive New Zealand batsman who sets the range for Kiwis' big guns

    Explosive batsman who sets the range for Kiwis' big guns

    Martin Guptill has smashed early runs for Derbyshire and tells Richard Edwards to expect more from the 'freakish' Brendon McCullum and his buoyant team during their tour of England
    General Election 2015: Ed Miliband's unlikely journey from hapless geek to heart-throb

    Miliband's unlikely journey from hapless geek to heart-throb

    He was meant to be Labour's biggest handicap - but has become almost an asset
    General Election 2015: A guide to the smaller parties, from the the National Health Action Party to the Church of the Militant Elvis Party

    On the margins

    From Militant Elvis to Women's Equality: a guide to the underdogs standing in the election
    Amr Darrag: Ex-Muslim Brotherhood minister in exile still believes Egypt's military regime can be replaced with 'moderate' Islamic rule

    'This is the battle of young Egypt for the future of our country'

    Ex-Muslim Brotherhood minister Amr Darrag still believes the opposition can rid Egypt of its military regime and replace it with 'moderate' Islamic rule, he tells Robert Fisk
    Why patients must rely less on doctors: Improving our own health is the 'blockbuster drug of the century'

    Why patients must rely less on doctors

    Improving our own health is the 'blockbuster drug of the century'