Wealth Check: I want to clear my debts and start saving'

Rory Toner, 24, a software developer from Belfast, is determined to buy a home within four years, but has debts to clear before he can start saving for a deposit. He has five years' worth of student loans and a £1,400 overdraft to clear before he is 27, when his bank will start to charge for it. He also wants to retire on £30,000.

But Rory is unsure of the best way to manage his financial priorities. "The main thing that concerns me is how to maintain a balance between savings and building a deposit for a house and paying off my debts," he says. "I just don't know the best way to approach it."

This week three financial advisers help Rory with his money: Raj Shah of Simply Independent, Arthur Dornan of Carterbar and Mel Kenny of Radcliffe and Newlands.

CASE NOTES: Rory Toner, 24, software developer, Belfast
Income: £21,000 a year.
Monthly outgoings: Rory spends around £1,750 a month, or £21,000 a year, matching his income. His living expenses cost around £1,100 a month, including rent and bills; £50 a month goes on holidays; a further £180 on unforeseen costs and treats – socialising, meals out, entertainment and DVDs; and around £420 of Rory's monthly salary goes on income tax and National Insurance.
Savings and investments: Rory has no investments, and is not contributing to any savings, but wants to start saving for a deposit to buy a house.
Debt: Rory's overdraft is between £1,400 and £2,700. There is also around £18,500 outstanding on his student loan.

Debts and homebuying

Dornan and Shah agree that Rory needs to deny himself some indulgences in order to make inroads into his debt. "He recently managed to pay off £1,700 over a four-month period, so if his living expenses include a few non-essentials, he can cut back," says Dornan. Around £75 a month should clear Rory's overdraft by the time he is 27.

"If Rory is looking at buying a house worth about £100,000 then he is going to need a deposit of at least £5,000 assuming the current mortgage situation does not worsen," adds Dornan, who says Rory needs to be saving around £150 to £200 per month in order to accumulate his deposit.


An ISA would be the best way for Rory to save. Kenny suggests that he saves up to £300 per month with Scarborough Building Society's My Savings ISA, a regular savings ISA with interest of 6.25 per cent variable per annum tax free. In three to four years' time, this could be used to pay off the overdraft and go towards a property deposit. For full flexibility, Egg's cash mini ISA has a 6.05 per cent variable per annum tax free.

Rory could invest in an equity-based ISA which is likely to offer greater returns than a cash-based one. There are pitfalls, however.

"Rory has a cautious attitude to risk and so his options are limited. He may wish to look at the BlackRock UK Absolute Alpha Fund," Kenny says.

He adds that as Rory may need to be prepared not to withdraw funds from an equity-based ISA for at least three to four years, he should not invest in one too heavily as that would mean risking not meeting some of his shorter-term objectives.


The advisers are concerned that Rory's pension plans are too ambitious, but Shah says that putting away £250 a month should be sufficient to generate Rory's desired sum in retirement.

Shah warns, "Should Rory choose to put a smaller amount into his pension, it would be vital that this figure is increased and reviewed annually to ensure that he doesn't get a nasty surprise come retirement."

If Rory's employer doesn't contribute to a pension scheme which he could join, Mel Kenny advises considering making contributions to a personal pension when he becomes a higher-rate tax-payer.

"Since 6 April 2008, contributions made by a basic-rate tax-payer only enjoy 20 per cent tax relief. If Rory sets aside a sum via his ISA and moves this to a pension when he is a high-rate tax-payer, he would enjoy 40 per cent tax relief on the same sum," Kenny says.

To find an independent financial adviser in your area, visit www.unbiased.co.uk

For a free financial check-up, write to Wealth Check, 'The Independent', 191 Marsh Wall, London E14 9RS, or e-mail cash@independent.co.uk

Independent Partners; Do you need financial advice on your investments, pension or insurance? Book a free consultation with an independent Financial Adviser at VouchedFor.co.uk

Suggested Topics
i100 In this video, the late actor Leonard Nimoy explains how he decided to use the gesture for his character
Arts and Entertainment
Secrets of JK Rowling's Harry Potter workings have been revealed in a new bibliography
arts + ents
Robert De Niro has walked off the set of Edge of Darkness
news The Godfather Part II actor has an estimated wealth of over $200m
Arts and Entertainment
Fearne Cotton is leaving Radio 1 after a decade
radio The popular DJ is leaving for 'family and new adventures'
Finacial products from our partners
Property search
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    SThree: HR Benefits Manager

    £40000 - £50000 per annum + pro rata: SThree: SThree Group have been well esta...

    Recruitment Genius: Office Manager / Financial Services

    £30000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Established in 1999, a highly r...

    Jemma Gent: Year End Accountant

    £250-£300 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Are you a qualified accountant with strong exp...

    Jemma Gent: Management Accountant

    £230 - £260 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Do you want to stamp your footprint in histo...

    Day In a Page

    HIV pill: Scientists hail discovery of 'game-changer' that cuts the risk of infection among gay men by 86%

    Scientists hail daily pill that protects against HIV infection

    Breakthrough in battle against global scourge – but will the NHS pay for it?
    How we must adjust our lifestyles to nature: Welcome to the 'Anthropocene', the human epoch

    Time to play God

    Welcome to the 'Anthropocene', the human epoch where we may need to redefine nature itself
    MacGyver returns, but with a difference: Handyman hero of classic 1980s TV series to be recast as a woman

    MacGyver returns, but with a difference

    Handyman hero of classic 1980s TV series to be recast as a woman
    Tunnel renaissance: Why cities are hiding roads down in the ground

    Tunnel renaissance

    Why cities are hiding roads underground
    'Backstreet Boys - Show 'Em What You're Made Of': An affectionate look at five middle-aged men

    Boys to men

    The Backstreet Boys might be middle-aged, married and have dodgy knees, but a heartfelt documentary reveals they’re not going gently into pop’s good night
    Crufts 2015: Should foreign dogs be allowed to compete?

    Crufts 2015

    Should foreign dogs be allowed to compete?
    10 best projectors

    How to make your home cinema more cinematic: 10 best projectors

    Want to recreate the big-screen experience in your sitting room? IndyBest sizes up gadgets to form your film-watching
    Manchester City 1 Barcelona 2 player ratings: Luis Suarez? Lionel Messi? Joe Hart? Who was the star man?

    Manchester City vs Barcelona player ratings

    Luis Suarez? Lionel Messi? Joe Hart? Who was the star man at the Etihad?
    Arsenal vs Monaco: Monaco - the making of Gunners' manager Arsene Wenger

    Monaco: the making of Wenger

    Jack Pitt-Brooke speaks to former players and learns the Frenchman’s man-management has always been one of his best skills
    Cricket World Cup 2015: Chris Gayle - the West Indies' enigma lives up to his reputation

    Chris Gayle: The West Indies' enigma

    Some said the game's eternal rebel was washed up. As ever, he proved he writes the scripts by producing a blistering World Cup innings
    In Ukraine a dark world of hybrid warfare and murky loyalties prevails

    In Ukraine a dark world of hybrid warfare

    This war in the shadows has been going on since the fall of Mr Yanukovych
    'Birdman' and 'Bullets Over Broadway': Homage or plagiarism?

    Homage or plagiarism?

    'Birdman' shares much DNA with Woody Allen's 'Bullets Over Broadway'
    Broadchurch ends as damp squib not even David Tennant can revive

    A damp squib not even David Tennant can revive

    Broadchurch, Series 2 finale, review
    A Koi carp breeding pond, wall-mounted iPads and a bathroom with a 'wellness' shower: inside the mansion of Germany's 'Bishop of Bling'

    Inside the mansion of Germany's 'Bishop of Bling'

    A Koi carp breeding pond, wall-mounted iPads and a bathroom with a 'wellness' shower