Consumer rights: 'I was overpaid £13,000, now my boss wants it back'

A law-office worker is at loggerheads with his employer over excess wages paid in error and how to go about leaving inheritance gifts to children

Q: I started work at a law firm two years ago on a rolling three-month contract for three days a week. However, a few months into the job I thought I was being overpaid and talked to the relevant person. She said that I wasn't being overpaid and although I was surprised I thought I had done my duty. I discussed it with other people including a friend at another law firm who put the situation down to having been unemployed for six months before taking the job.

It wasn't unusual to go for three months without receiving a payslip. Towards the end of my first year, I mentioned my concerns to my boss. Eventually in April 2011 I was called to a meeting and told the accounts department had noticed I had been overpaid by more than £10,000. I was shocked but told them that I had reported my suspicions months before. I was asked if I had spent the money, which I had.

It seems the payroll company had entered my initial three-day week as a five-day week and the error had been compounded because when I started to work four days a week the payroll company had entered this as six days, meaning that I was also paid overtime rates for the sixth day. The accounts department was trying to get the money back from the payroll company "on my behalf".

A few weeks ago I was told I am expected to repay nearly £13,000 as negotiations with the payroll company have failed. I can work for one day extra a week for 28 months, repay monthly over more than 10 years or come up with another proposal of my own to clear the debt.

The firm is also now saying that they can't remember our original conversation. I haven't even been given a breakdown of the money I'm told I owe.

EL, London

A: If you refuse to come to an arrangement your employer has two courses of action. It could take you to court for a judge to decide how much, if any, of the money you should repay. Or it could make deductions from your salary.

A judge will look at whether your position has so changed that the injustice of requiring you to make restitution is greater than the injustice to your employer of not ordering it. All sorts of issues would be considered such as whether you have the money, if not what you've done with it, how much effort you put into reporting the overpayment, should you have put more effort into that, the absence of payslips, the amount of repayments the employer is willing to accept over what period and how much difficulty that would cause you. You might be made to repay some, all or none of the money.

In most cases, an employer can only lawfully make a deduction from an employee's pay if the deduction is required to be made by law such as tax and National Insurance, the deduction is allowed for by your contract (eg pension contributions), or you have agreed to it in writing before it's deducted. However, if there has been a genuine overpayment of your wages, your employer doesn't need your consent to recover the money. It can make deductions without your agreement. You might decide to take a case against it at an employment tribunal. Neither of these is likely to result in a good future working relationship. Talk it over with an adviser who specialises in employment law. Check for a law centre at Most of them have employment experts who offer free advice. And maybe your boss doesn't know that all employees are entitled to an individual written payslip, at or before the time they are paid.



Q: I don't have any children, but I have a small house and a little money so I want it to leave it all divided up between my nieces and nephews as well as the children of some close friends. Do I have to leave these gifts in trust until they are 18 or can they have it straight away if something should happen to me? I'm not talking about big amounts.

KB, Darlington


A: Normally if you give a gift to a child it will be held by your executors for safekeeping and management until the child is 18 years old. But you could say in your will that the child's parent or guardian should take receipt of the gift on the child's behalf. Trusts are a common way to pass gifts to children. A trust is a legal arrangement that allows assets such as property or money to be looked after for the beneficiaries named in the will. By putting the property or money you want to leave them into a trust it can be properly managed until the children are old enough legally to take possession of it. Some types of trust allow the beneficiary (the children) to receive an income from the property or money invested on their behalf. Don't make this kind of will yourself ; there's too much that can go wrong. Find a solicitor with experience of trusts to do it for you.

Independent Partners; request a free guide on NISAs from Hargreaves Lansdown

Emma Watson has become the latest target of the 4Chan nude hacking scandal
peopleThreats follows actress' speech on feminism and equality at the UN
Alan Bennett criticised the lack of fairness in British society encapsulated by the private school system
peopleBut he does like Stewart Lee
David Moyes and Louis van Gaal
Arts and Entertainment
Sheridan Smith as Cilla Black and Ed Stoppard as her manager Brian Epstein
tvCilla Episode 2 review: Grit under the glamour in part two of biopic series starring Sheridan Smith
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Life and Style
Life and Style
Alan Turing, who was convicted of gross indecency in 1952, was granted a royal pardon last year
Life and Style
Arts and Entertainment
Tennis player Andy Murray's mum Judy has been paired with Anton du Beke for Strictly Come Dancing. 'I'm absolutely delighted,' she said.
tvJudy Murray 'struggling' to let Anton Du Beke take control on Strictly
Life and Style
Vote with your wallet: the app can help shoppers feel more informed about items on sale
lifeNew app reveals political leanings of food companies
Arts and Entertainment
The cover of Dark Side of the Moon
musicCan 'The Endless River' carry on the tradition? See for yourself
New Zealand fly-half Aaron Cruden pictured in The Zookeeper's Son on a late-night drinking session
Arts and Entertainment
Worldwide ticket sales for The Lion King musical surpassed $6.2bn ($3.8bn) this summer
tvMusical is biggest grossing show or film in history
A new app has been launched that enables people to have a cuddle from a stranger
voicesMaybe the new app will make it more normal to reach out to strangers
Arts and Entertainment
Salmond told a Scottish television chat show in 2001that he would also sit in front of a mirror and say things like,
tvCelebrity Trekkies from Alex Salmond to Barack Obama
Life and Style
food + drink
Finacial products from our partners
Property search
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    Trainee / Experienced Recruitment Consultants

    £20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000: SThree: SThree are a global FTSE 250 ...

    Trainee Recruitment Consultant - Soho

    £20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40000: SThree: As a Recruitment Consultant, y...

    Trainee Recruitment Consultants - Banking & Finance

    £20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000: SThree: SThree Group have been well e...

    Quantitative Risk Manager

    Up to £80000: Saxton Leigh: My client, a large commodities broker, is looking ...

    Day In a Page

    Secret politics of the weekly shop

    The politics of the weekly shop

    New app reveals political leanings of food companies
    Beam me up, Scottie!

    Beam me up, Scottie!

    Celebrity Trekkies from Alex Salmond to Barack Obama
    Beware Wet Paint: The ICA's latest ambitious exhibition

    Beware Wet Paint

    The ICA's latest ambitious exhibition
    Pink Floyd have produced some of rock's greatest ever album covers

    Pink Floyd have produced some of rock's greatest ever album covers

    Can 'The Endless River' carry on the tradition?
    Sanctuary for the suicidal

    Sanctuary for the suicidal

    One mother's story of how London charity Maytree helped her son with his depression
    A roller-coaster tale from the 'voice of a generation'

    Not That Kind of Girl:

    A roller-coaster tale from 'voice of a generation' Lena Dunham
    London is not bedlam or a cradle of vice. In fact it, as much as anywhere, deserves independence

    London is not bedlam or a cradle of vice

    In fact it, as much as anywhere, deserves independence
    Vivienne Westwood 'didn’t want' relationship with Malcolm McLaren

    Vivienne Westwood 'didn’t want' relationship with McLaren

    Designer 'felt pressured' into going out with Sex Pistols manager
    Jourdan Dunn: Model mother

    Model mother

    Jordan Dunn became one of the best-paid models in the world
    Apple still coolest brand – despite U2 PR disaster

    Apple still the coolest brand

    Despite PR disaster of free U2 album
    Scottish referendum: The Yes vote was the love that dared speak its name, but it was not to be

    Despite the result, this is the end of the status quo

    Boyd Tonkin on the fall-out from the Scottish referendum
    Manolo Blahnik: The high priest of heels talks flats, Englishness, and why he loves Mary Beard

    Manolo Blahnik: Flats, Englishness, and Mary Beard

    The shoe designer who has been dubbed 'the patron saint of the stiletto'
    The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written

    Scrambled eggs and LSD

    Behind The Beatles' lyrics - thanks to Hunter Davis's original manuscript copies
    'Normcore' fashion: Blending in is the new standing out in latest catwalk non-trend

    'Normcore': Blending in is the new standing out

    Just when fashion was in grave danger of running out of trends, it only went and invented the non-trend. Rebecca Gonsalves investigates
    Dance’s new leading ladies fight back: How female vocalists are now writing their own hits

    New leading ladies of dance fight back

    How female vocalists are now writing their own hits