Tax breaks could be hiding in your spare room

You don't need a full-time lodger to take advantage of tax-efficient schemes

Sharing a home with a stranger isn't everybody's first choice but, with the tax breaks available, taking in a lodger can be an easy way to raise extra cash.

The process of renting out a spare room has become much more flexible, with a range of services offering to make this a viable way for you to make money.

One new website,, for example, helps you to find overnight guests on the proviso that you provide a simple supper, bed and continental breakfast.

"You can make your room available as little or as often as you want so you're not hounded by phone calls all year round," says Annabella Forbes, the founder of BedandFed. "We've created a very personable service and encourage people to ring the host directly so that it's not all automated and anonymous."

What you charge is at your discretion, but the average nightly rate is £35 per person. You're also in control of when you take in visitors by updating an availability calendar on the website. So if you want business only on weekends or for a special event such as the Olympics, you can limit availability to these periods. This is a far less formal arrangement than an actual bed and breakfast – you advertise your room and guests get in touch if they want the room and all you pay is £70 per year to list on the site. Other sites work slightly differently; for example, is free to advertise your room but the site takes a 10 per cent cut that your guest pays when they book your room.

The potential income from renting out a spare room is impressive, not least because of the tax breaks. The average annual room rent is £4,576, and as part of the Government's Rent a Room scheme, up to £4,250 of this income is tax free. As a higher rate taxpayer you would have to earn more than £7,000 to net the same amount in your pay packet. This incentive isn't only for homeowners either – tenants can also take advantage of the scheme if they have their landlord's permission and check that the terms of their lease allow it.

If you want a more permanent arrangement, finding a long-term lodger is relatively simple and you can advertise your room for free on sites such as

"More people than ever are taking in lodgers, particularly during these tough economic times when budgets are tight, as it really is a simple and tax-efficient method of boosting your income," says Matt Hutchinson, director of Spareroom.

If the idea of a full-time lodger puts you off, you can also choose to rent your room during the week only through sites such as which charges homeowners £29.95 for three months and matches them with professionals wanting to rent a room during the working week only. This type of service is ideal for those working long hours in the City, or for those with a long commute who need an occasional place to stay and contract workers needing a short-term rental solution. And as for homeowners, they can earn some extra cash but get their house to themselves for the weekend.

Where you live will affect how much you can charge and how popular your spare room will be. If you live near a university or college, you should find plenty of demand from students and staff members. If you live in the City, you can charge more – the average annual room rent is £7,176 in London – but remember that this will affect your tax liability.

Despite the monetary benefits, having a lodger isn't entirely without its regulations and implications so it's important to know exactly what you're getting yourself into before you taking the plunge.

Unlike tenancies, there are no statutory rules governing lodgers and they have little protection if you want to evict them. But you should still draw up your own contract including how much the agreed monthly rent is and any notice periods you want to give.

"Always get something in writing between you and your lodger stating the terms of your agreement with them. Inexpensive lodger agreements such as Lawpacks can be downloaded online," says Mr Hutchinson.

An important thing to note is that if you own your home with a partner you do not enjoy double tax relief – you will instead be entitled to half the allowance each. Within this allowance you must also include any other payments received, not just the rental income. So, if you charge extra for food and this takes you over the £4,250 threshold, you will have to pay income tax on the difference. Having a lodger also affects your eligibility for a single person's council tax discount. At 25 per cent this loss will eat into any profit so factor this in before you take anyone in.

There are rules governing the type of space your lodger inhabits too. The property must be furnished and used as your main residence. Holiday homes, buy-to-let properties and homes that have been converted into separate flats do not qualify. Instead, your lodger must occupy just one room or an entire floor. Health and safety standards must be met too, including having a gas safety check. And if you plan to take on more than one lodger, your house will become a house of multiple occupation (HMO) which entails various expensive requirements.

You will need to check with both your mortgage lender and home insurance provider. Some insurance companies may refuse to offer cover altogether if you have a lodger unless you exclude their room and any damage they cause from the policy. Others may continue to offer cover and won't necessarily increase premiums but you will need any potential lodgers to declare they have no criminal record and they will need their own contents cover. "Not all insurers will be happy to provide cover for a lodger and those that will judge the additional risk on a case-by-case basis. Costs for adding this to a policy will vary from insurer to insurer," says Julie Owens, head of home insurance at Moneysupermarket.

If you find that your existing insurer is not able to continue to provide cover, you might have to look for insurance from a specialist broker who can tailor cover to suit your circumstances.

"Contacting the British Insurance Brokers Association (Biba) is a good place to start when looking for an alternative policy," says Ms Owens.

Guests welcome

Yvonne Taylor has taken in guests at her south Devon cottage for the past five years. The retired university lecturer, 65, started by helping out her local pub by taking in the occasional person, but now has guests staying one or two nights a week.

"I've met a lot of interesting people as a result and all have respected my home," she says. "Many of my bookings are repeats." She has signed up with and offers B&B and evening meal for £25 a night. "That's enough, I think. We tend to rip people off in Britain so I like to offer good accommodation at a reasonable price.

"This is not my main source of income, but it's a useful way to make some money. My advice for anyone thinking of doing it is ask whether you're happy to open your home to strangers."

Independent Partners; request a free guide on NISAs from Hargreaves Lansdown

Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
The Queen and the letter sent to Charlie
Arts and Entertainment
Eurovision Song Contest 2015
EurovisionGoogle marks the 2015 show
Two lesbians hold hands at a gay pride parade.
peopleIrish journalist shares moving story on day of referendum
Arts and Entertainment
<b>Kathryn Williams</b>
When I was supporting Ray La Montagne I was six months pregnant. He had been touring for a year and he was exhausted and full of the cold. I was feeling motherly, so I would leave presents for him and his band: Tunnock's Tea Cakes, cold remedies and proper tea. Ray seemed painfully shy. He hardly spoke, hardly looked at you in the face. I felt like a dick speaking to him, but said "hi" every day. </p>
He was being courted by the same record company who had signed me and subsequently let me go, and I wanted him to know that there were people around who didn't want anything from him. At the Shepherds Bush Empire in London, on the last night of the tour, Ray stopped in his set to thank me for doing the support. He said I was a really good songwriter and people should buy my stuff. I was taken aback and felt emotionally overwhelmed. Later that year, just before I had my boy Louis, I was l asleep in bed with Radio 4 on when Louis moved around in my belly and woke me up. Ray was doing a session on the World Service. </p>
I really believe that Louis recognised the music from the tour, and when I gave birth to him at home I played Ray's record as something that he would recognise to come into the world with. </p>
booksKathryn Williams explores the works and influences of Sylvia Plath
Liz Kendall played a key role in the introduction of the smoking ban
newsLiz Kendall: profile
Life and Style
techPatent specifies 'anthropomorphic device' to control media devices
The PM proposed 'commonsense restrictions' on migrant benefits
voicesAndrew Grice: Prime Minister can talk 'one nation Conservatism' but putting it into action will be tougher
Finacial products from our partners
Property search
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    Guru Careers: Software Developer / C# Developer

    £40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...

    Neil Pavier: Management Accountant

    £45,000 - £55,000: Neil Pavier: Are you looking for your next opportunity for ...

    Sheridan Maine: Commercial Accountant

    £45,000 - £55,000: Sheridan Maine: Are you a newly qualified ACA/ACCA/ACMA qua...

    Laura Norton: Project Accountant

    £50,000 - £60,000: Laura Norton: Are you looking for an opportunity within a w...

    Day In a Page

    Sun, sex and an anthropological study: One British academic's summer of hell in Magaluf

    Sun, sex and an anthropological study

    One academic’s summer of hell in Magaluf
    From Shakespeare to Rising Damp... to Vicious

    Frances de la Tour's 50-year triumph

    'Rising Damp' brought De la Tour such recognition that she could be forgiven if she'd never been able to move on. But at 70, she continues to flourish - and to beguile
    'That Whitsun, I was late getting away...'

    Ian McMillan on the Whitsun Weddings

    This weekend is Whitsun, and while the festival may no longer resonate, Larkin's best-loved poem, lives on - along with the train journey at the heart of it
    Kathryn Williams explores the works and influences of Sylvia Plath in a new light

    Songs from the bell jar

    Kathryn Williams explores the works and influences of Sylvia Plath
    How one man's day in high heels showed him that Cannes must change its 'no flats' policy

    One man's day in high heels

    ...showed him that Cannes must change its 'flats' policy
    Is a quiet crusade to reform executive pay bearing fruit?

    Is a quiet crusade to reform executive pay bearing fruit?

    Dominic Rossi of Fidelity says his pressure on business to control rewards is working. But why aren’t other fund managers helping?
    The King David Hotel gives precious work to Palestinians - unless peace talks are on

    King David Hotel: Palestinians not included

    The King David is special to Jerusalem. Nick Kochan checked in and discovered it has some special arrangements, too
    More people moving from Australia to New Zealand than in the other direction for first time in 24 years

    End of the Aussie brain drain

    More people moving from Australia to New Zealand than in the other direction for first time in 24 years
    Meditation is touted as a cure for mental instability but can it actually be bad for you?

    Can meditation be bad for you?

    Researching a mass murder, Dr Miguel Farias discovered that, far from bringing inner peace, meditation can leave devotees in pieces
    Eurovision 2015: Australians will be cheering on their first-ever entrant this Saturday

    Australia's first-ever Eurovision entrant

    Australia, a nation of kitsch-worshippers, has always loved the Eurovision Song Contest. Maggie Alderson says it'll fit in fine
    Letterman's final Late Show: Laughter, but no tears, as David takes his bow after 33 years

    Laughter, but no tears, as Letterman takes his bow after 33 years

    Veteran talkshow host steps down to plaudits from four presidents
    Ivor Novello Awards 2015: Hozier wins with anti-Catholic song 'Take Me To Church' as John Whittingdale leads praise for Black Sabbath

    Hozier's 'blasphemous' song takes Novello award

    Singer joins Ed Sheeran and Clean Bandit in celebration of the best in British and Irish music
    Tequila gold rush: The spirit has gone from a cheap shot to a multi-billion pound product

    Join the tequila gold rush

    The spirit has gone from a cheap shot to a multi-billion pound product
    12 best statement wallpapers

    12 best statement wallpapers

    Make an impact and transform a room with a conversation-starting pattern
    Paul Scholes column: Does David De Gea really want to leave Manchester United to fight it out for the No 1 spot at Real Madrid?

    Paul Scholes column

    Does David De Gea really want to leave Manchester United to fight it out for the No 1 spot at Real Madrid?