The taxman comes home

As more people work from where they live, Geoff Everett looks at the rules for business expenses

Thanks to advances in technology, the pressures of family life and the rising cost of office accommodation, more company staff are set to join the self-employed in working from home.

But while the commuting couldn't be simpler, the tax regime is more complicated. Both the employed and self-employed will incur certain expenses as a result of working from home, and these costs must be paid from net income unless tax relief can be obtained. In the case of employed workers, the company may reimburse or contribute to the costs, but if this happens, the individual could be taxed on the reimbursement.

For the self-employed, relief is due where expenses are incurred "wholly and exclusively" for the business.

For the employed, the purchase must also be necessary for the performance of the job, not merely convenient. Working from home through choice does not entitle the individual to relief on household expenses. But working from home to meet the terms of employment is another matter.

Assuming these hurdles can be overcome, you can include qualifying expenses on your tax return to get the relief. The claim is largely based on whether you have rooms exclusively set aside for the business. Typically, the proportion of, say, a gas bill which can be claimed depends on the proportion of rooms used for business compared to the total number of rooms in the property, excluding bathrooms, toilets and entrance halls. So, if you have a six-roomed house and use one exclusively for business, you could potentially claim one-sixth of relevant household expenses.

If you do not have a specific area for business (or just have, for example, a desk and filing cabinet in part of a room), the only allowable costs are likely to be the extra light and heating costs incurred while you are working. In practice, though, the taxman does not usually query small claims once it is accepted that working from home is a necessary and regular activity. Telephone and internet bills are normally allowed when these relate to business use.

If you buy equipment such as a computer or printer, capital allow-ances (tax relief for depreciation) may be available. Interest paid on money borrowed to buy the equipment may also be accepted as a business cost, again depending on the extent to which these items are used for work. Calculate the proportion of business to private use and claim only that part which relates to work. In such cases, note when the equipment is used and for what, so that claims can be justified. (Self-assessment requires taxpayers to keep precise records about their expenses, in any case.)

If your employer provides the equipment, it gets the tax relief. However, with the exception of computers, equipment should be provided on the basis that it is purely for business, otherwise you could be taxed on the personal use element.

Claims for mortgage interest are typically restricted to the self-employed, who can charge a proportion of the interest as a business expense, again according to the proportion of the home set aside for business.

Assuming you have the space, reserving a room for your business may seem a good way to increase the tax relief on household expenses. However, the downside is the automatic loss of the capital gains tax (CGT) private residence relief for those parts of the property exclusively used for the business. In other words, if you claim tax relief on mortgage interest now, you could get a tax bill when you sell the property for the capital gain that has accrued during ownership. The bill would depend on how much the house rises in value during the period, and the proportion of that gain relating to the business area.

If you move to another home where a room (or rooms) will also be used exclusively for the business, the CGT on the first property can sometimes be reduced by claiming rollover relief (tax relief on the replacement of business assets).

Additionally, the individual's annual £7,500 CGT exemption and taper relief (whereby the tax on assets is reduced the longer they are held) may be available to reduce the bill. These tax breaks are potentially very valuable, but require professional advice.

Normally, the home worker can choose whether or not to use rooms exclusively for work. For example, using an office occasionally as a guest room should be enough to break the exclusive business use rule. However, individuals will need to weigh up the pros and cons of claiming tax relief on expenses and mortgage interest now against suffering a possible CGT bill in the future.

Geoff Everett is a tax partner at Smith & Williamson. Contact 020 8446 4371 or

Independent Partners; request a free guide on NISAs from Hargreaves Lansdown

Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Finacial products from our partners
Property search
  • Get to the point
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    Ashdown Group: Treasury Assistant - Accounts Assistant - London, Old Street

    £24000 - £26000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...

    Ashdown Group: Business Analyst - Financial Services - City, London

    £50000 - £55000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Business Analyst - Financial Service...

    SThree: Trainee Recruitment Consultant

    £18000 - £23000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: At SThree, we like to be differe...

    SThree: Trainee Recruitment Consultant

    £20000 - £25000 per annum + competitive: SThree: Did you know? SThree is the o...

    Day In a Page

    General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband

    Chuka Umunna: A virus of racism runs through Ukip

    The shadow business secretary on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
    Yemen crisis: This exotic war will soon become Europe's problem

    Yemen's exotic war will soon affect Europe

    Terrorism and boatloads of desperate migrants will be the outcome of the Saudi air campaign, says Patrick Cockburn
    Marginal Streets project aims to document voters in the run-up to the General Election

    Marginal Streets project documents voters

    Independent photographers Joseph Fox and Orlando Gili are uploading two portraits of constituents to their website for each day of the campaign
    Game of Thrones: Visit the real-life kingdom of Westeros to see where violent history ends and telly tourism begins

    The real-life kingdom of Westeros

    Is there something a little uncomfortable about Game of Thrones shooting in Northern Ireland?
    How to survive a social-media mauling, by the tough women of Twitter

    How to survive a Twitter mauling

    Mary Beard, Caroline Criado-Perez, Louise Mensch, Bunny La Roche and Courtney Barrasford reveal how to trounce the trolls
    Gallipoli centenary: At dawn, the young remember the young who perished in one of the First World War's bloodiest battles

    At dawn, the young remember the young

    A century ago, soldiers of the Empire – many no more than boys – spilt on to Gallipoli’s beaches. On this 100th Anzac Day, there are personal, poetic tributes to their sacrifice
    Dissent is slowly building against the billions spent on presidential campaigns – even among politicians themselves

    Follow the money as never before

    Dissent is slowly building against the billions spent on presidential campaigns – even among politicians themselves, reports Rupert Cornwell
    Samuel West interview: The actor and director on austerity, unionisation, and not mentioning his famous parents

    Samuel West interview

    The actor and director on austerity, unionisation, and not mentioning his famous parents
    General Election 2015: Imagine if the leading political parties were fashion labels

    Imagine if the leading political parties were fashion labels

    Fashion editor, Alexander Fury, on what the leaders' appearances tell us about them
    Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka: Home can be the unsafest place for women

    Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka: Home can be the unsafest place for women

    The architect of the HeForShe movement and head of UN Women on the world's failure to combat domestic violence
    Public relations as 'art'? Surely not

    Confessions of a former PR man

    The 'art' of public relations is being celebrated by the V&A museum, triggering some happy memories for DJ Taylor
    Bill Granger recipes: Our chef succumbs to his sugar cravings with super-luxurious sweet treats

    Bill Granger's luxurious sweet treats

    Our chef loves to stop for 30 minutes to catch up on the day's gossip, while nibbling on something sweet
    London Marathon 2015: Paula Radcliffe and the mother of all goodbyes

    The mother of all goodbyes

    Paula Radcliffe's farewell to the London Marathon will be a family affair
    Everton vs Manchester United: Steven Naismith demands 'better' if Toffees are to upset the odds against United

    Steven Naismith: 'We know we must do better'

    The Everton forward explains the reasons behind club's decline this season
    Arsenal vs Chelsea: Praise to Arsene Wenger for having the courage of his convictions

    Michael Calvin's Last Word

    Praise to Wenger for having the courage of his convictions