19 treated after fumes alert at store

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Shoppers were advised to seek medical help after 19 people received treatment following a fumes leak at a supermarket last night.

Cumbria Police cleared the branch of Tesco at Victoria Viaduct, Carlisle, after a cloud of gas started pouring through the supermarket's air vents.

A spokesman said 19 shoppers were taken to Cumbria Infirmary at Carlisle suffering from stinging eyes, sore throat and a burning sensation to the skin. "We are advising anyone who may be showing any of these symptoms and were at the supermarket to take a shower and wash their clothes. Obviously if the irritation persists they should seek medical advice."

The fumes are believed to have come from industrial paint which had recently been used on the roof of the building.

Comments