24-hour curfew is imposed in Seattle
Paul Schell said that only people on official business would be allowed into a 46-block area around the centre where the World Trade Organisation is meeting. The curfew will last until the official end of the WTO meting tomorrow. "Our responses will be swift," Mr Schell said. "Anybody who engages in improper behaviour will be dealt with."
More than 500 people have already been arrested during the week of violence in the city. Civil liberties groups reacted in outrage to what is the first such round-the-clock curfew since the Second World War, when Seattle ordered Japanese citizens off the streets before interning them. "I have never encountered anything like this in a US city and I hope never to again," said Mike Dolan, of the protest group Global Trade Watch. The American Civil Liberties Union said it would challenge the "no protest zone" in the federal court as it infringes Americans' rights to free assembly and free speech.
The success of the talks themselves was in the balance last night, with officials warning that unless concessions were made on agriculture, labour standards and other issues, a deal could slip away. The chaos that surrounded the meeting on Tuesday helped to set back early progress.
Further reports, pages 16-17
Review, page 3
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...