Angry MPs come out of their shells
The trust has now called for a boycott of Swedish goods until Oslo promises to deal more humanely with future cases.
Tony Banks, Labour MP for Newham North East, has put down a Commons motion on the subject which has been signed by 32 other parliamentary tortoise fanciers.
A European Union import ban on Mediterranean tortoises has raised retail prices to between pounds 90 and pounds 130. As a result, smuggling is common and there have been a number of cases of "tortoise rustling".
Although the Swedish consignment was of Russian Horsfield's tortoises, which can be imported, it was impounded at Arlanda airport in Stockholm because its importer did not have the correct paperwork.
The animals were kept in the airport for a week, during which time the Tortoise Trust, alerted through a tortoise-lovers' Internet site, tried to persuade the authorities to repatriate them. But at the end of October they were put into a refrigerated container which killed them within a few hours. Jill Martin, who runs the Tortoise Trust sanctuary in Wales, said: "We got the strong impression that there wasn't really any intention of doing anything other than destroying them."
The Swedish Charge d'Affaires in London, Marten Grunditz, said there was no rescue-centre in Sweden willing to take the animals, and they were not fit for transportation.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...