Beef Crisis: Dangerous living
Friday 05 December 1997
There was one death from new-variant CJD per 200,000 whole cows consumed; one death of a driver or passenger per 15 million car journeys; one death of a pedestrian per 200 million roads crossed; one fatal fall per 500 million staircases climbed; one death from Aids for 3 million acts of unsafe sex; one death from lung cancer per 2 million cigarettes smoked.
On these figures, the risk from beef seems very small- about one death per 30 million half-pound portions. Steak is twice as safe as getting into a car and15 times safer than one cigarette. Yet the risk is still unquantifiable, which is why the Government dares not say "Let them eat steak".
But there is one more figure: In the last two years, there have been 22 deaths from vCJD and 13 deaths from CJD that occurred as a result of a medical procedure. You are more likely to catch CJD from your doctor than a cow.
That's some guestlist! Stunning images show huge dynastic wedding between Ultra-Orthodox Jewish families which attracted 25,000 guests
Terror at Woolwich barracks: Attacker tried to behead and disembowel British soldier
Anonymity order lifted for triple child killer David McGreavy jailed in 1973
World news in pictures
Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 1 Terror at Woolwich barracks: Attacker tried to behead and disembowel British soldier
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.