Blacks feel more British
Monday 18 November 1996
The NOP poll of 18- to 35-year-olds, commissioned by the black weekly newspaper New Nation also found 52 per cent believed that race relations had improved over the past five years.
However, 40 per cent believed race relations had deteriorated.
The paper's publisher, Tetteh Kofi, said that the results showed that society held many misconceptions about the way black people feel. "This survey shows that black people in Britain, despite social challenges, are making a go of their lives as an integral part of the UK," he said. Only 27 per cent of those questioned thought ethnic-minority affairs were covered effectively on television.
Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
British man arrested after children found with slit throats in France
World news in pictures
'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
Revealed: Eerie new images show forgotten French apartment that was abandoned at the outbreak of World War II and left untouched for 70 years
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£28000 - £31500 per annum + benefits: Randstad Education Newcastle: Permanent ...
£50000 - £58000 per annum + Benefits and Bonus: Progressive Recruitment: SAP F...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + BENS: Progressive Recruitment: Drupal Developer A ...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + bens: Progressive Recruitment: C# WEB DEVELOPER Le...