Bomb threat to US embassy in Kuwait

Click to follow
The Independent Online
THE UNITED States embassy in Kuwait said yesterday an attack was possibly being planned against it, and a note found on a plane in Kuwait warned of a bomb attack on the US mission in the Philippines.

Meanwhile, the Coca-Cola factory in Yemen also received a threat on Monday, employees at the factory said. A company spokesman in London, however, denied that report.

Washington has closed some of its diplomatic missions and maximised security in others following last month's twin bombings of its embassies in Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. More than 250 people were killed and some 5,000 injured.

A taped message on a telephone line at the embassy in Kuwait said: The "US government has received information indicating that a similar attack [to those in Kenya and Tanzania] may be being planned in Kuwait."

Claud Young, the embassy spokesman, said the mission does not have immediate plans to close because of the threat, but was closed for the Labor Day holiday on Monday.

The threat to the Manila embassy was found on board an Emirates flight.

Comments