1,000 jobs at risk at Powerstore
Thursday 18 April 1996
The company has applied for a court hearing on 29 April and is seeking voluntary arrangements with its creditors. However, the stores will continue trading as normal.
Powerstore is the latest in a string of casualties in Britain's cut-throat electrical retail market. It operates 52 high street shops and 33 out- of-town superstores. It was born out of the industry shake-out which has seen most of the electricity companies dispose of their retail divisions. Clive Vlotman, a former director of Dixons created the group in 1993 when he acquired some stores from London Electricity. A year ago it bought around 70 Homepower shops from East Midlands and Yorkshire Electricity. Last year it achieved sales of pounds 120m.
- 1 Norwich paedophile ring: Woman at centre of gang who made children 'sexual play things' guilty of 23 offences
- 2 Topshop pulls 'ridiculously skinny' mannequins after being shamed by customer on Facebook
- 3 Ralkina Jones: 37-year-old black woman found dead in police custody
- 4 Black and ethnic minority people twice as likely to be hit by Tory cuts than white people, report finds
- 5 Walter Palmer: American dentist revealed as killer of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
Labour leadership: New poll shows party is now even 'less electable' than under Ed Miliband
Labour leadership contest: I would never quit the party, says Liz Kendall
iJobs Money & Business
£22500 - £24500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Inbound and outbound calls with...
£18000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing Insurance Bro...
£40 - 45k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Research Associate / Research Anal...
£20000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: Summary: The Green Recruitm...