Around the World's Markets: Tokyo
Saturday 31 July 1999
The move came amid newspaper reports that the outgoing Zhu Xiaohua was under investigation by mainland authorities.
JAPANESE BLUE chips closed slightly lower, dampened by the sharp fall on Wall Street overnight and data showing record high unemployment and a rise in the yen. The Nikkei 225 average lost 8.06 points, or 0.05 per cent, to end at 17,861.86. "Considering the triple dose of bad news, the market really hasn't reacted much at all, which can be taken as a positive sign," said one strategist. The jobless rate hit a record high of 4.9 per cent in June topping the 4.8 per cent peak of March and April.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 3 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 4 Cannabis can cause man boobs, US surgeon claims
- 5 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government
iJobs Money & Business
£50000 - £65000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Market Data SM...
£50000 - £70000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...
£70000 - £85000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...
£75000 - £85000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: An award win...