BAA in Naples buy
Sunday 09 March 1997
It is the company's first purchase in mainland Europe as it attempts to expand overseas.
Under the terms of the contract, BAA values the airport at between 67 billion and 80 billion lire (pounds 24m and pounds 29m) making BAA's investment worth between pounds 17m and pounds 20m.
Naples is the primary airport in southern Italy, handling about 2.9 million passengers each year. It is about the size of BAA's second-smallest airport, Edinburgh.
The move comes more than a year after BAA first signed a letter of intent with Gesac, the airport's operator to take a controlling equity stake. The contract still requires the approval of local authorities, which could take 70 days.
Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
World news in pictures
X marks the spot: The find that could rewrite Australian history
At least 91 feared dead including 20 children as massive tornado rips through Oklahoma
David Cameron offers review of civil partnerships as gay marriage Bill clears major hurdle
- 1 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 2 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 3 Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
- 4 Be more professional! GCHQ staff rapped as WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange reveals messages that he says point to 'fit up'
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
iJobs Money & Business
£500 per day: Orgtel: A top tier banking client urgently requires Finance Busi...
£425 - £550 per day: Orgtel: Senior Finance Project Manager - £550 - Bristol -...
£150 - £250 per day: Orgtel: KYC Analyst - London - Banking - £150-250/day C...
£500 per day: Orgtel: A top tier banking client urgently requires Finance Gove...