Britain 'should model itself on California'
Monday 26 May 1997
The study by journalist Charles Leadbeater argues that traditional economic role models advocated by stakeholder economists such as Will Hutton and John Kay are outdated or inappropriate for Britain.
A far better role model, he says, is the West Coast of America, which has become one of the most dynamic economies in the world on the back of knowledge-based and high-technology industries. With a GDP of about $800bn and a workforce of 14 million, California is not dissimilar in size and structure to the UK.
Although it has high levels of unemployment, inequality and crime, it has restructured away from industries such as defence and aerospace and into computer services, multi-media, design and biotechnology.
'Britain: The California of Europe', Demos, pounds 2.95
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
iJobs Money & Business
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: **URGENT CONTRACT ROLE**...
Up to £100k or £450p/d: Saxton Leigh: My client is a leading commodities tradi...
£320 - £330 per day: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group have been engaged by a l...
To £75,000 + Pension + Benefits + Bonus: Saxton Leigh: My client is looking f...