Bug business slows but profits up at Micro Focus
The news follows disappointing results from US software groups specialising in addressing the millennium bug problem, raising expectations that the boom sparked by the problem is fizzling out.
However Martin Waters, the chief executive of Micro Focus, said it was too early to draw that conclusion. "I don't think you can say this is a trend," he said. "It may be that revenues were affected because we reorganised our sales force halfway through the quarter."
Mr Waters added that projections for spending on the millennium bug remain strong. Gartner Group, the US market research firm, recently said that US companies are expecting to spend 44 per cent of their entire information technology budgets on the problem next year.
Sales of other Micro Focus products more than compensated for the slowdown, said Mr Waters. In the six months to June, pre-tax profits more than doubled to $15.8m (pounds 9.8m) on sales up 35 per cent to $97m. Shares in the group, which is in the process of completing a pounds 300m merger with Intersolv, its US rival, closed up 17.5p to 480p.
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.