Channel 5 may buy US shows from Sky
Thursday 04 July 1996
The talks, which are still at an early stage, could see the two broadcasters bid jointly for US shows before the launch of Channel 5 in January 1997.
Channel 5 also wants to bid for the rights to popular action programmes, such as Highlander, to which BSkyB has both terrestrial and satellite rights. Some of Sky's terrestrial rights were bought in advance of the auction for Channel 5, for which BSkyB was a leading contender.
The new channel, owned by Pearson, United News & Media and CLT, the Luxembourg- based broadcaster, is currently commissioning and acquiring programmes for its first year of operation. With a budget of pounds 110m, next to pounds 600m at ITV, the new channel will concentrate on daytime television, where it is expected to rely on traditional daytime fare, along with US and other imported series.
Sky, which broadcasts popular US shows such as Melrose Place and The Simpsons, has developed into a "proving ground" for US TV series, according to David Elstein, Sky's head of programmes.
"The ITV companies and the BBC have both understood that if programmes are successful in 25 per cent of UK homes, then they should be popular in the other 75 per cent" - those without cable or satellite.
Two popular programmes pioneered in the UK by Sky, The Simpsons and The X-Files, are now being broadcast on the BBC. Mr Elstein said the advantages work both ways.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
musicPolice chief rejects rappers' claims that his work is as dangerous as law enforcement or military service
comedy'Fresh Meat' star sees off stiff competition from Alan Carr, David Mitchell, Graham Norton, Lee Mack and Sarah Millican to win top prize
Beatles rush out 'bootleg' album to defy EU copyright law
healthJames Bond's alcohol consumption puts him at 'high risk' of cirrhosis, tremors... and impotence
tvSpoiler alert: Find out the result of a heated final show
Harvey Weinstein reveals his secret weapon on-set
Now that an oil trader's drinking has got him sacked, will we all have to make do with an afternoon latte?
Chiwetel Ejiofor and Idris Elba get nods for Best Actor, which no black Brit has ever won
Geoffrey Macnab reviews The Desolation of Smaug - the meat in Peter Jackson's Hobbit sandwich
peopleWhat advice would David Cameron give to his younger self?
French café starts charging extra to rude customers
Mystery of Epping Forest 'big cat' is solved
North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle Jang Song Thaek for 'attempting to overthrow the state'
Australia incest case: Deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
Fox News presenter tells viewers it is a 'fact' that both Jesus and Santa Claus are white
- 1 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Australia incest case: Deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- 4 Physicists discover 'clearest evidence yet' that the Universe is a hologram
- 5 Fox News presenter tells viewers it is a 'fact' that both Jesus and Santa Claus are white
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£44999 - £60001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top Tier firm i...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Regulatory Man...
£50000 - £75000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Pre-Sales / Cl...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Regulatory Man...