City Diary: Warburg kicks the ball around with bets on euro

Economists at SBC Warburg have clearly had a bit of time on their hands recently. They have turned their thoughts to the impending European football championships, weaving in a dash of political and economic comment on all the participating nations. It is all neatly packaged in the bank's newly published Euro'96 Special.

But using a deft piece of footwork even Gazza would be proud of, it has used the football tournament as a metaphor for monetary union, pondering the chances of the various countries achieving the criteria for monetary union by 1999. England comes bottom with a 10 per cent chance (jointly with Greece) while Germany is seen as the most likely with a 90 per cent probability.

As for the footie, the economists are tipping Spain to beat the Netherlands in the final with England reaching the quarter-final stages. Rather disloyally they reckon Switzerland won't make it past the preliminary stages.

Tony Knox, the chairman of City PR firm Financial Dynamics, is recovering at home after a triple by-pass heart operation. Mr Knox, 50, went into hospital last Wednesday and is expected to be away from City spin-doctoring for three to four weeks. The operation comes as a surprise to many who know Tony as a fit fellow who regularly works out and wields a mean racket on the tennis court. FD says "he's fine and making a good recovery."

Meanwhile, the company is on the verge of signing a deal with its French majority shareholder which will see the French company buy out the directors who own 35 per cent of the company. It will then introduce a scheme that will distribute the company's shares more widely among the staff. In other words, wonga all round.

Yorkshire Water, the company that would struggle to run a bath even if it did have any water, has a fresh set of problems to contend with. It is being blamed for a decline in local tourism. The reason is that holidaymakers have been shying away from the region for fear that local hotels and guesthouses will be affected by water restrictions. "They don't want to find themselves bathing in a bucket," one local said.

Sir Desmond Pitcher of United Utilities is well known for his confidence in his own abilities. He has now taken to making up new words. In the company's results presentation yesterday he referred to the country's "abordinary" weather conditions over the last year. Does he mean abnormal, or extra-ordinary? Or both?

Maria Reinshagen (pictured right) was named as vice-chairman of Christie's Europe yesterday. The appointment makes her the most senior woman in the auction house's European operations. The promotion is the Swiss businesswoman's second barrier-breaking appointment. In 1994 she was the first woman to be appointed to the board of UBS.

Ms. Reinshagen is described as "an effective business-getter" and has been running Christie's office in Zurich. In her 18 years with the company she has been involved in several record-breaking sales. In 1990, one of her clients narrowly missed out in the bidding for the Van Gogh portrait of his physician, Dr Gachet. At $82m it remains the most expensive work of art ever sold at auction.

Ms Reinshagen was one of three vice-chairmen announced by Christie's yesterday. The others are Francois Curiel and John Lumley.

Suggested Topics
Susan Sarandon described David Bowie as
peopleSusan Sarandon reveals more on her David Bowie romance
Lewis Hamilton walks back to the pit lane with his Mercedes burning in the background
Formula 1
Arts and Entertainment
The new characters were announced yesterday at San Diego Comic Con
comic-con 2014
Arsenal supporters gather for a recent ‘fan party’ in New Jersey
Arts and Entertainment
No Devotion's Geoff Rickly and Stuart Richardson
musicReview: No Devotion, O2 Academy Islington, London
sportDidier Drogba returns to Chelsea on one-year deal
Arts and Entertainment
The Secret Cinema performance of Back to the Future has been cancelled again
ebookA unique anthology of reporting and analysis of a crucial period of history
newsComedy club forced to apologise as maggots eating a dead pigeon fall out of air-conditioning
Life and Style
Balmain's autumn/winter 2014 campaign, shot by Mario Sorrenti and featuring Binx Walton, Cara Delevingne, Jourdan Dunn, Ysaunny Brito, Issa Lish and Kayla Scott
fashionHow Olivier Rousteing is revitalising the house of Balmain
Arts and Entertainment
Christian Grey cradles Ana in the Fifty Shades of Grey film
filmFifty Shades of Grey trailer provokes moral outrage in US
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs Money & Business

Senior Risk Manager - Banking - London - £650

£600 - £650 per day: Orgtel: Conduct Risk Liaison Manager - Banking - London -...

The benefits of being in Recruitment at SThree...

£18000 - £23000 per annum + Comission: SThree: SThree, International Recruitme...

Test Analyst - UAT - Credit Risk

£280 - £300 per day + competitive: Orgtel: Test Analyst, Edinburgh, Credit Ris...

Trainee Recruitment Consultants - Banking & Finance

£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000: SThree: SThree Group have been well e...

Day In a Page

Best comedians: How the professionals go about their funny business, from Sarah Millican to Marcus Brigstocke

Best comedians: How the professionals go about their funny business

For all those wanting to know how stand-ups keep standing, here are some of the best moments
Jokes on Hollywood: 'With comedy film audiences shrinking, it’s time to move on'

Jokes on Hollywood

With comedy film audiences shrinking, it’s time to move on
Edinburgh Fringe 2014: The comedy highlights, from Bridget Christie to Jack Dee

Edinburgh Fringe 2014

The comedy highlights, from Bridget Christie to Jack Dee
Evan Davis: The BBC’s wolf in sheep’s clothing to take over at Newsnight

The BBC’s wolf in sheep’s clothing

What will Evan Davis be like on Newsnight?
Finding the names for America’s shame: What happens to the immigrants crossing the US-Mexico border without documents who never make it past the Arizona desert?

Finding the names for America’s shame

The immigrants crossing the US-Mexico border without documents who never make it past the Arizona desert
Inside a church for Born Again Christians: Speaking to God in a Manchester multiplex

Inside a church for Born Again Christians

As Britain's Anglican church struggles to establish its modern identity, one branch of Christianity is booming
Rihanna, Kim Kardashian and me: How Olivier Rousteing is revitalising the house of Balmain

Olivier Rousteing is revitalising the house of Balmain

Parisian couturier Pierre Balmain made his name dressing the mid-century jet set. Today, Olivier Rousteing – heir to the house Pierre built – is celebrating their 21st-century equivalents. The result? Nothing short of Balmania
Cancer, cardiac arrest, HIV and homelessness - and he's only 39

Incredible survival story of David Tovey

Tovey went from cooking for the Queen to rifling through bins for his supper. His is a startling story of endurance against the odds – and of a social safety net failing at every turn
Backhanders, bribery and abuses of power have soared in China as economy surges

Bribery and abuses of power soar in China

The bribery is fuelled by the surge in China's economy but the rules of corruption are subtle and unspoken, finds Evan Osnos, as he learns the dark arts from a master
Commonwealth Games 2014: Highland terriers stole the show at the opening ceremony

Highland terriers steal the show at opening ceremony

Gillian Orr explores why a dog loved by film stars and presidents is finally having its day
German art world rocked as artists use renowned fat sculpture to distil schnapps

Brewing the fat from artwork angers widow of sculptor

Part of Joseph Beuys' 1982 sculpture 'Fettecke' used to distil schnapps
BBC's The Secret History of Our Streets reveals a fascinating window into Britain's past

BBC takes viewers back down memory lane

The Secret History of Our Streets, which returns with three films looking at Scottish streets, is the inverse of Benefits Street - delivering warmth instead of cynicism
Joe, film review: Nicolas Cage delivers an astonishing performance in low budget drama

Nicolas Cage shines in low-budget drama Joe

Cage plays an ex-con in David Gordon Green's independent drama, which has been adapted from a novel by Larry Brown
How to make your own gourmet ice lollies, granitas, slushy cocktails and frozen yoghurt

Make your own ice lollies and frozen yoghurt

Think outside the cool box for this summer's tempting frozen treats
Ford Fiesta is UK's most popular car of all-time, with sales topping 4.1 million since 1976

Fiesta is UK's most popular car of all-time

Sales have topped 4.1 million since 1976. To celebrate this milestone, four Independent writers recall their Fiestas with pride