Dead end for Lord Myners' road map
COMMENT: Lord Myners has, in poker parlance, gone "all in" by daring the Co-op to take on his review and threatening it with a revolt by bankers if it doesn't cave in.
Said review is not without merit, and doesn't quite envisage Co-op as the plc lite critics fear.
The problem is that in couching it in the terms he has, and by eviscerating just about everyone connected with the institution outside of himself and his allies, he's made it just about impossible for the Co-op to follow his "road map". Having been in government, he ought to realise this.
As for the bankers, while they will be leery of what's going on, they may also be chary of doing his dirty work.They may be more willing than he is to accept a compromise.
If that goes wrong, this report will allow Myners to say: "I told you so". Which would be a shallow victory.
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
iJobs Money & Business
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Service Desk Analyst- (Desktop Su...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Service Desk Analyst - (Active Di...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst - C++, Boost...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst (Machine Lea...