Earl invests in Punters
Saturday 28 September 1996
Shares in Courtyard soared by 50 per cent to 19.75p on news that Mr Earl had acquired 900,000 shares, a 3.25 per cent stake.
Richard Capper, chairman, said Mr Earl would not play a part in the day- to-day running of the company but was welcomed as a shareholder. "We're very happy to have him along."
Mr Earl received a significant windfall last month when Whitbread acquired the Pelican group, which owns the Cafe Rouge chain, for pounds 133m. Mr Earl controlled a major stake in the company.
Mr Capper's vehicle, Lomand Investment Holdings, took control of Courtyard in June when it acquired a 29.9 per cent stake. Lomand operates the Drum & Monkey bar and bistro chain, which is modelled on City gentlemen's clubs with button-backed leather armchairs. "I think he [Mr Earl] liked what we'd done with the Drum & Monkey and so was interested to get involved," Mr Capper said.
Courtyard's four bars, which include Punters in Lime Street, were loss- making last year.
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-known and renowned in...
£450 - £500 per hour: Cornwallis Elt : Business Analyst Finance System Hy...