European carriers want share of Heathrow slots
Friday 31 January 1997
Sir Michael Bishop, British Midland's chairman, insisted he was neutral on whether the link-up should be approved by regulators. However he argued that if the European Commission asked the partners to give up more lucrative slots at Heathrow than the figure of 168 proposed by the UK Office of Fair Trading, then it would be illogical to award them all to transatlantic carriers.
Most US rivals have pleaded that the alliance should only get the go- ahead if the partners give up at least 400 Heathrow slots. All the rival American carriers are desperately seeking greater access to the airport.
Sir Michael said if all the extra slots went to transatlantic airlines, it would "turn Heathrow into a huge leisure holiday airport for the US. At the same time there would be no new capacity for business travellers on intra-European routes."
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £50000 per annum + pro rata: SThree: SThree Group have been well esta...
£30000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Established in 1999, a highly r...
£250-£300 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Are you a qualified accountant with strong exp...
£230 - £260 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Do you want to stamp your footprint in histo...