European carriers want share of Heathrow slots
Sir Michael Bishop, British Midland's chairman, insisted he was neutral on whether the link-up should be approved by regulators. However he argued that if the European Commission asked the partners to give up more lucrative slots at Heathrow than the figure of 168 proposed by the UK Office of Fair Trading, then it would be illogical to award them all to transatlantic carriers.
Most US rivals have pleaded that the alliance should only get the go- ahead if the partners give up at least 400 Heathrow slots. All the rival American carriers are desperately seeking greater access to the airport.
Sir Michael said if all the extra slots went to transatlantic airlines, it would "turn Heathrow into a huge leisure holiday airport for the US. At the same time there would be no new capacity for business travellers on intra-European routes."
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
iJobs Money & Business
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£600 - £750 per day: Orgtel: FATCA Project Manager - Banking - London - £600-...
£550 - £600 per day: Orgtel: Fidessa Analyst / PM - Banking - London - Up to £...