Firms struggle to find staff as jobseekers set sights high
Monday 24 May 1999
Three-quarters of recruiting firms said there was a lack of applicants with the necessary skills or experience, the Institute of Personnel and Development (IPD) said. More than half those surveyed said they were unable to match market pay rates, saying applicants wanted more money than was on offer.
Professional posts were the hardest to fill with half of employers reporting problems, followed by a quarter of IT companies and one in five engineers. Almost a third of employers said they had not received one application for a post they had advertised. Overall, 72 per cent of employers reported recruitment problems, compared with 60 per cent a year ago.
Angela Baron, IPD policy adviser, said employers would have to increase the benefits to attract high-calibre staff.
Last week statistics showed that average earnings rose to 4.8 per cent. The Bank of England has said that any figure above 4.5 per cent could threaten inflation. The data showed the number of people in employment had hit an all-time high.
The IPD survey was based on interviews with 269 recruiters in March from companies across all sectors of business.
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
iJobs Money & Business
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£600 - £750 per day: Orgtel: FATCA Project Manager - Banking - London - £600-...
£550 - £600 per day: Orgtel: Fidessa Analyst / PM - Banking - London - Up to £...