Go on diet with Chez Gerard
Sunday 12 October 1997
Last week its final results rounded off a solid recent performance for the group. There is no question that Chez Gerard, run by the experienced duo of Neville Abraham and Laurence Isaacson, has put together an appealing menu.
But the expansion plans that accompanied the results could set off alarm bells. A skills shortage has meant turning to Paris for trained chefs - not cheap - while the group wants to open another 20 restaurants over the next two years.
Demographics favour metropolitan restaurant businesses which can take an ever-increasing share of the leisure budget from 'dual income, no kids' couples. However, while Chez Gerard should always be able to attract customers, consumers' current joie de vivre will not last for ever. Customers from the City as well might drop away if times in financial markets get tough. On a forward multiple of 18.5 times earnings, the shares look pricey, and should not be chased.
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
iJobs Money & Business
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: **URGENT CONTRACT ROLE**...
Up to £100k or £450p/d: Saxton Leigh: My client is a leading commodities tradi...
£320 - £330 per day: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group have been engaged by a l...
To £75,000 + Pension + Benefits + Bonus: Saxton Leigh: My client is looking f...