Income and Growth Survey: Profits: get with it
Saturday 20 March 1999
What are the factors to choose between when considering investing in a with-profits bond? After all, they are regularly described as being a low-risk investment: is there really such a big difference between them.
The short answer is yes. Among the key issues to consider are:
n Bonus rates, be they terminal or annual, tell you how much you will receive each year for a given investment. Clearly, high rates matter. Low rates can be a product of poor stockmarket performance, or even of financial weakness which forces companies to keep a higher proportion of funds in fixed-interest securities.
But a high or a low annual bonus rate may be linked to other factors, including a fear by a serious company of low future stockmarket performance. In such cases, it may voluntarily cut rates now (with the hope of making it up with a higher terminal bonus) rather than be forced to do so in a year or two.
n Allocation rates and other charges will determine how much of your funds are invested. An initial charge is the amount of money you pay to invest in a with-profits bond. It is often described as the bid/offer spread (the bid is how much you pay, the offer is what you get if you sell) and is usually between 5 and 6 per cent.
The allocation rate is how much money is actually invested. A rate of 95 per cent means that the other 5 per cent has vanished. So a 95 per cent allocation rate coupled with a 5 per cent bid/offer spread means that 10 per cent of your cash has been taken out in charges.
Matters can get confusing: a 103 per cent allocation rate with a 5 per cent bid/offer spread, for instance, is worse than a 99 per cent allocation rate and no initial charge.
Other issues will be discussed next week.
`The Independent' has produced a free 24-page `Guide to With-Profits Bonds'. Written by Nic Cicutti, personal finance editor, the guide examines the arguments for and against investing in bonds. It explains the tax implications and where to buy a bond. For your copy of the guide, sponsored by The With-Profits Bond Shop, call 0845 2711007
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
- 1 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 2 Japanese plant experts produce 10,000 lettuce heads a day in LED-lit indoor farm
- 3 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week
Israel-Gaza conflict: Death toll tops 125 after overnight raids as Operation Protective Edge continues
Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
Ian Thorpe gay: Olympic swimmer comes out in Parkinson interview
Supermoon 2014: When and why will the moon look bigger and brighter this summer?
Gaza-Israel conflict: Pro-Palestinian demonstrators take to streets of London, Paris and New York in wave of protests
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
iJobs Money & Business
£70000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Information Security Manager (ISO 27001, A...
£75000 - £85000 per annum + ex bens: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: Biztalk Te...
£60000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Trade Desk Specialist (FIX, Linux, Windows...
£35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Service Desk Analyst (Windows, Active Dire...