ING Barings acts to retain stake in Dillon Read

In a bid to retain a valuable window on to Wall Street, ING Barings is scrambling to hold on to a 25 per cent stake that it holds in the investment bank Dillon Read and, if possible, to purchase the other 75 per cent.

ING's foothold in Dillon Read, which has performed strongly recently as a mergers and acquisition boutique, dates back to ING's rescue of Barings two years ago. Barings Holding Company, as it was before its collapse, had bought 40 per cent of Dillon Read in 1991.

A struggle is now raging between ING and Dillon Read over the 25 per cent still in ING's hands. Dillon Read has the option to re-acquire that stake by the end of June and until recently appeared set on doing so. Dillon Read's executives hold the other 75 per cent.

ING confirmed from its Amsterdam headquarters yesterday that it would prefer not to lose its interest and proceed instead to buying all of the bank. "If the conditions are right for both parties, it would be nice to have it all," said a company spokesman.

He indicated that talks were under way and should be completed within the next fortnight, with the issue of price the biggest sticking point. Unconfirmed reports have suggested that to buy the balance of the privately held bank's stock, ING would have to find between $425m and $450m (pounds 262m- pounds 277m).

That Dillon Read would be an attractive catch for ING is evident. Like other merger and acquisition specialists on Wall Street, the bank has benefited handsomely from the recent rush of corporate combinations. After being briefly bruised in March, optimism that the mergers surge will continue has returned with the new upwards momentum of the New York stock markets.

There is still little evidence of enthusiasm on the part of Dillon Read for a full ING takeover. Rather, indications in New York point to some friction in the negotiations.

"As you know, Dillon Read has been in discussion with ING regarding the exercise of Dillon Read's option to acquire the 25 per cent that ING holds," Peter Rosenthal, a spokesman for the bank said yesterday. "In the course of those discussions, Dillon Read has been receiving constant proposals from ING in which ING appeals directly to Dillon Read not to exercise its option".

Only in February, the bank's management circulated a memo to staff indicating its intention to buy back the 25 per cent held by ING and to break links with the Dutch group.

Among recent high-profile mergers in which Dillon Read acted as principal advisers was the $3bn stock-swap deal last December between the Long Island Lighting Company of New York and another utility, the Brooklyn Union Gas Company.

Dillon Read's success has reflected well on ING Baring's corporate finance operation in London. ING Barings also has a securities business in New York, employing 1,200 and specialising in global high-yield businesses, emerging markets and banking.

Life and Style
Small winemakers say the restriction makes it hard to sell overseas
food + drink
Arts and Entertainment
A comedy show alumni who has gone on to be a big star, Jon Stewart
tvRival television sketch shows vie for influential alumni
Arts and Entertainment
Carrie Hope Fletcher
booksFirst video bloggers conquered YouTube. Now they want us to buy their books
News
Clare Balding
peopleClare Balding on how women's football is shaking up sport
PROMOTED VIDEO
Arts and Entertainment
Damien Hirst
artCoalition's anti-culture policy and cuts in local authority spending to blame, says academic
Sport
premier leagueMatch report: Arsenal 1 Man United 2
Arts and Entertainment
Kirk Cameron is begging his Facebook fans to give him positive reviews
film
News
i100
Sport
Jonny May scores for England
rugby unionEngland 28 Samoa 9: Wing scores twice to help England record their first win in six
Life and Style
fashionThe Christmas jumper is in fashion, but should you wear your religion on your sleeve?
News
ebooksNow available in paperback
Arts and Entertainment
Jason goes on a special mission for the queen
tvReview: Everyone loves a CGI Cyclops and the BBC's Saturday night charmer is getting epic
Arts and Entertainment
Jerry Hall (Hand out press photograph provided by jackstanley@theambassadors.com)
theatre
Sport
Tony Bellew (left) and Nathan Cleverly clash at the Echo Arena in Liverpool
boxingLate surge sees Liverpudlian move into world title contention
Voices
Neil Findlay
voicesThe vilification of the potential Scottish Labour leader Neil Findlay shows how one-note politics is today, says DJ Taylor
Life and Style
food + drinkMeat-free recipes and food scandals help one growing sector
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating
and  

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs Money & Business

Reach Volunteering: Trustee – PR& Marketing, Social Care, Commercial skills

Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Age Concern Slough a...

Reach Volunteering: Charity Treasurer

Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Crossroads Care is s...

SThree: Trainee Recruitment Consultant - Soho

£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £35,000: SThree: We consistently strive to be ...

Ampersand Consulting LLP: Markit EDM (CADIS) Developer

£50000 - £90000 per annum + benefits: Ampersand Consulting LLP: Markit EDM (CA...

Day In a Page

Mau Mau uprising: Kenyans still waiting for justice join class action over Britain's role in the emergency

Kenyans still waiting for justice over Mau Mau uprising

Thousands join class action over Britain's role in the emergency
Isis in Iraq: The trauma of the last six months has overwhelmed the remaining Christians in the country

The last Christians in Iraq

After 2,000 years, a community will try anything – including pretending to convert to Islam – to avoid losing everything, says Patrick Cockburn
Black Friday: Helpful discounts for Christmas shoppers, or cynical marketing by desperate retailers?

Helpful discounts for Christmas shoppers, or cynical marketing by desperate retailers?

Britain braced for Black Friday
Bill Cosby's persona goes from America's dad to date-rape drugs

From America's dad to date-rape drugs

Stories of Bill Cosby's alleged sexual assaults may have circulated widely in Hollywood, but they came as a shock to fans, says Rupert Cornwell
Clare Balding: 'Women's sport is kicking off at last'

Clare Balding: 'Women's sport is kicking off at last'

As fans flock to see England women's Wembley debut against Germany, the TV presenter on an exciting 'sea change'
Oh come, all ye multi-faithful: The Christmas jumper is in fashion, but should you wear your religion on your sleeve?

Oh come, all ye multi-faithful

The Christmas jumper is in fashion, but should you wear your religion on your sleeve?
Dr Charles Heatley: The GP off to do battle in the war against Ebola

The GP off to do battle in the war against Ebola

Dr Charles Heatley on joining the NHS volunteers' team bound for Sierra Leone
Flogging vlogging: First video bloggers conquered YouTube. Now they want us to buy their books

Flogging vlogging

First video bloggers conquered YouTube. Now they want us to buy their books
Saturday Night Live vs The Daily Show: US channels wage comedy star wars

Saturday Night Live vs The Daily Show

US channels wage comedy star wars
When is a wine made in Piedmont not a Piemonte wine? When EU rules make Italian vineyards invisible

When is a wine made in Piedmont not a Piemonte wine?

When EU rules make Italian vineyards invisible
Look what's mushrooming now! Meat-free recipes and food scandals help one growing sector

Look what's mushrooming now!

Meat-free recipes and food scandals help one growing sector
Neil Findlay is more a pink shrimp than a red firebrand

More a pink shrimp than a red firebrand

The vilification of the potential Scottish Labour leader Neil Findlay shows how one-note politics is today, says DJ Taylor
Bill Granger recipes: Tenderstem broccoli omelette; Fried eggs with Mexican-style tomato and chilli sauce; Pan-fried cavolo nero with soft-boiled egg

Oeuf quake

Bill Granger's cracking egg recipes
Terry Venables: Wayne Rooney is roaring again and the world knows that England are back

Terry Venables column

Wayne Rooney is roaring again and the world knows that England are back
Michael Calvin: Abject leadership is allowing football’s age-old sores to fester

Abject leadership is allowing football’s age-old sores to fester

Those at the top are allowing the same issues to go unchallenged, says Michael Calvin