McAlpine in bid talks with Raine
Tuesday 29 April 1997
Analysts were reluctant to guess what the size of the "premium" that McAlpine would be prepared to pay, and one even suggested that news of the talks could flush out other bidders.
Howard Proctor, analyst at Societe Generale Strauss Turnbull, said that he had recommended a "cautious" stance on McAlpine, until the terms of the possible bid were announced. "Superficially, Raine appears to be a good fit, but we are suggesting waiting until it becomes clearer what McAlpine are prepared to pay." McAlpine's shares firmed 4p to 167.5p yesterday
Leslie Kent, analyst at MeesPierson, said the premium McAlpine was prepared to pay was the "54,000 dollar question". However, he noted that Raine reported net assets of 32p a share at the end of last year.
Raine has a land bank of 300,000 plots with planning permission and "McAlpine have realised that what Raine needs is a big parent," Mr Kent said.
"This is by no means cut and dry, and Raine could be made more offers once McAlpine have made theirs. It takes a bid to draw attention to a recovering company like Raine," Mr Kent added.
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
- 1 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£50000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior C++ Dev...
£Negotiable: Citifocus: Polished and professional individual with RDR Level 4 ...
£75000 - £85000 per annum + attractive benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Senior...
£70000 - £80000 per annum + Commission Package: Harrington Starr: Due to winni...