Microvitec warns losses will continue
Tuesday 19 August 1997
The comments were the latest in a string of profits warnings from the company which has been hit by the strength of sterling and a slump in sales at its largest division.
Operating losses of pounds 2.9m compared with a profit in the first half of 1996 of pounds 1.85m. Only the disposal of two of its subsidiaries during the period created any attributable profit and earnings per share of 0.1p compared with 1.4p a year ago. There will be no interim dividend (0.425p).
James Bailey, chairman, said: "In summary, this has been a very difficult period for the group. However, corrective action has been taken in the Display Division which has been primarily responsible for the poor first- half performance."
Microvitec's computer display business was hit during the period by the decision of financial information group Bloomberg to move out of the hardware market. Sales to Bloomberg were worth pounds 7.2m in the first half of 1996. Their absence contributed to a 47 per cent slump in turnover.
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
iJobs Money & Business
£23000 - £26000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Market Research Executive...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Technical Report Writer is re...
Competitive salary & benefits!: MBDA UK Ltd: MBDA UK LTD Indirect Procurement...
£16500 - £16640 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing Finance compa...