MONEY Q&A; Gifts that grow up with the children

We want to give National Savings Children's Bonus Bonds to our two grandchildren. We find that one already has the maximum of the current issue, so we are looking for an alternative with the same sort of benefits and exemptions. Is there to be a new issue of Children's Bonus Bonds ?

KT, Gloucestershire

Children's Bonus Bonds last for five years. They can be bought for children under 16 and can be held after this age until the owner is 21. The current issue, J, pays a fixed 6 per cent tax-free if held for the full five- year period. The bonds have to be bought in units of pounds 25. The maximum holding is pounds 1,000, which applies to each issue.

Your grandchild with the maximum holding of Issue J will be able to hold more bonds when Issue K comes along. There have been 10 issues in the last seven years. The first nine issues had an average life of nine months. Issue J replaced the previous issue in March 1998.

Predicting the advent of Issue K is tricky. It depends on other interest rates and the Government's need to borrow money.

Alternatively, for children who have the maximum holding, consider a near-identical National Savings product, Capital Bonds Series L. This also pays a fixed 6 per cent for five years. The maximum holding is pounds 250,000.

There are two differences. Capital Bonds are sold in units of pounds 100 which may be too high for some parents and grandparents. Secondly, the interest is taxable, although it is paid without the tax being deducted. This makes no difference to the vast majority of children since their taxable income is well within their personal tax allowance (pounds 4,195 in the current tax year).

All taxable income arising from gifts as a parent is taxed as that parent's income if such income exceeds pounds 100. But income from investment gifts from other people, including grandparents, counts as the child's income.

Apart from National Savings there is the whole world of savings accounts and investments. Much of this is available to children. Be wary of accounts aimed exclusively at children. Brightly coloured money boxes and frippery can mask indifferent interest rates.

If you want some long-term fixed returns, consider gilts that mature when your grandchildren reach 18 or 21. They are easy to buy through National Savings and can pay gross (ie without tax deducted). The income could be paid into a separate deposit account.

A taxing anxiety

I am trying to complete my tax return before the 30 September deadline. I cannot work out my own tax bill. My parents gave me pounds 20,000 last December to help buy a flat. Where does this go on the tax return?

NW, London

First, that widely promoted 30 September deadline. In fact the deadline for getting your 1997-98 return to the tax office (and paying the tax) is 31 January 1999. If you are late getting the return back, even a day late, you'll be charged an automatic penalty of pounds 100.

The 30 September deadline is the date on which you have to submit a tax return if you want the Revenue to work out your tax bill for you. Miss it and the Revenue won't guarantee to work out your bill in time for the first payment on 31 January. But you can risk it and ask your tax office to work out the bill regardless of when you send back your return. If you don't get a bill, you can always make a payment based on a guesstimate of what you owe.

If you miss the 31 January payment, you will be charged interest, though you won't pay a penalty surcharge unless you still haven't paid by 28 February.

As for your gift of pounds 20,000, this does not have to be entered on your tax return. You won't have to pay tax on this gift except in certain circumstances. Inheritance tax may become due if the donor dies within seven years of making the gift.

At present, there is no tax on the first pounds 223,000 of taxable gifts of the donor's estate.

Holiday excess

Adopting a "belt and braces" safety approach, I took plenty of pesetas on a recent holiday to Spain. I ended up not spending it all and have pounds 300-worth left over. I may return to Spain next year and can't decide whether or not it is worth keeping the cash until then.

DM, Edinburgh

Will the strong pound have fallen in value by 1999? Will the advent of European monetary union strengthen the pound or the peseta? These questions are best left to the City's currency experts. What is certain is that whenever you change currencies, the money changers (banks, travel agents, etc) all profit at your expense.

Unless you need the pounds 300 now, holding on to the pesetas may be the best punt.

Write to the personal finance editor, Independent on Sunday, 1 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5DL and include a phone number, or fax 0171-293 2096, or e-mail Do not enclose SAEs or any documents you wish to be returned. We cannot give personal replies or guarantee to answer letters. We accept no legal responsibility for advice given.

Start your day with The Independent, sign up for daily news emails
Life and Style
Steve Shaw shows Kate how to get wet behind the ears and how to align her neck
healthSteven Shaw - the 'Buddha of Breaststroke' - applies Alexander Technique to the watery sport
Arts and Entertainment
The sight of a bucking bronco in the shape of a pink penis was too much for Hollywood actor and gay rights supporter Martin Sheen, prompting him to boycott a scene in the TV series Grace and Frankie
footballShirt then goes on sale on Gumtree
Terry Sue-Patt as Benny in the BBC children’s soap ‘Grange Hill’
voicesGrace Dent on Grange Hill and Terry Sue-Patt
Arts and Entertainment
Performers drink tea at the Glastonbury festival in 2010
Arts and Entertainment
Twin Peaks stars Joan Chen, Michael Ontkean, Kyle Maclachlan and Piper Laurie
tvName confirmed for third series
Cameron Jerome
footballCanaries beat Boro to gain promotion to the Premier League
Arts and Entertainment
ebookA unique anthology of reporting and analysis of a crucial period of history
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs Money & Business

Guru Careers: Software Developer / C# Developer

£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...

Neil Pavier: Management Accountant

£45,000 - £55,000: Neil Pavier: Are you looking for your next opportunity for ...

Sheridan Maine: Commercial Accountant

£45,000 - £55,000: Sheridan Maine: Are you a newly qualified ACA/ACCA/ACMA qua...

Laura Norton: Project Accountant

£50,000 - £60,000: Laura Norton: Are you looking for an opportunity within a w...

Day In a Page

Abuse - and the hell that came afterwards

Abuse - and the hell that follows

James Rhodes on the extraordinary legal battle to publish his memoir
Why we need a 'tranquility map' of England, according to campaigners

It's oh so quiet!

The case for a 'tranquility map' of England
'Timeless fashion': It may be a paradox, but the industry loves it

'Timeless fashion'

It may be a paradox, but the industry loves it
If the West needs a bridge to the 'moderates' inside Isis, maybe we could have done with Osama bin Laden staying alive after all

Could have done with Osama bin Laden staying alive?

Robert Fisk on the Fountainheads of World Evil in 2011 - and 2015
New exhibition celebrates the evolution of swimwear

Evolution of swimwear

From bathing dresses in the twenties to modern bikinis
Sun, sex and an anthropological study: One British academic's summer of hell in Magaluf

Sun, sex and an anthropological study

One academic’s summer of hell in Magaluf
From Shakespeare to Rising Damp... to Vicious

Frances de la Tour's 50-year triumph

'Rising Damp' brought De la Tour such recognition that she could be forgiven if she'd never been able to move on. But at 70, she continues to flourish - and to beguile
'That Whitsun, I was late getting away...'

Ian McMillan on the Whitsun Weddings

This weekend is Whitsun, and while the festival may no longer resonate, Larkin's best-loved poem, lives on - along with the train journey at the heart of it
Kathryn Williams explores the works and influences of Sylvia Plath in a new light

Songs from the bell jar

Kathryn Williams explores the works and influences of Sylvia Plath
How one man's day in high heels showed him that Cannes must change its 'no flats' policy

One man's day in high heels

...showed him that Cannes must change its 'flats' policy
Is a quiet crusade to reform executive pay bearing fruit?

Is a quiet crusade to reform executive pay bearing fruit?

Dominic Rossi of Fidelity says his pressure on business to control rewards is working. But why aren’t other fund managers helping?
The King David Hotel gives precious work to Palestinians - unless peace talks are on

King David Hotel: Palestinians not included

The King David is special to Jerusalem. Nick Kochan checked in and discovered it has some special arrangements, too
More people moving from Australia to New Zealand than in the other direction for first time in 24 years

End of the Aussie brain drain

More people moving from Australia to New Zealand than in the other direction for first time in 24 years
Meditation is touted as a cure for mental instability but can it actually be bad for you?

Can meditation be bad for you?

Researching a mass murder, Dr Miguel Farias discovered that, far from bringing inner peace, meditation can leave devotees in pieces
Eurovision 2015: Australians will be cheering on their first-ever entrant this Saturday

Australia's first-ever Eurovision entrant

Australia, a nation of kitsch-worshippers, has always loved the Eurovision Song Contest. Maggie Alderson says it'll fit in fine