Barclays defers investment bank bonuses
Thursday 07 February 2013
More than 1,000 investment bankers at Barclays have been told they will not receive up-front cash bonuses this year.
Managing directors in the group's investment banking arm were informed that their 2012 bonuses would be deferred for at least a year.
The move is part of Antony Jenkins' attempts to rebuild the bank's image, which has been tarnished by Libor and mis-selling scandals.
When the bonuses eventually pay out, they will be split equally between cash and shares.
Mr Jenkins, who took over as Barclays' chief executive last year, has already waived his own £1m due to the bank's problems.
He will present the outcome of a five-month strategic review next week.
Barclays' employees will be told how much they have each been awarded today.
According to reports, workers in the investment banking division with bonuses of less than £65,000 will receive the entire amount in cash. The rest will have their payments deferred under the proposals.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
Deadly ice storm pushes up US east coast as temperatures drop to -29C
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: Technical Ap...
£Attractive Package: Citifocus: Excellent, opportunities exist for high calibr...
£Attractive Package: Citifocus: Key purpose of the role will be to act as Fixe...
£42000 - £46500 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Big 4 Opportunity...