Booming Brics boost JCB
Building booms in China and India have helped the digger business JCB to reach record sales in the first half of 2012.
Sales of diggers for road and house building in the emerging markets of Brazil, Russia, India and China have rocketed to more than 35,000 in the first six months of 2012, beating its half-year record of 32,600 in the boom year of 2007.
The 67-year-old company predicts its sales could reach 70,000 for the full year, smashing last year's 69,100.
Sir Anthony Bamford, son of the founder, Joseph Cyril, has run the business since 1975. It has 22 factories on four continents and employs 10,000. It sells 300 different varieties of machines across 150 countries.
In April the company posted record results for 2011, with sales up 36 per cent and underlying profit of £355m for the full year.
Sales have doubled in three years to £2.5bn in 2011.
Have shock jocks gone too far after Rush Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a slut?
Former Google exec says he has 100,000 emails showing how 'immoral' company avoids paying UK tax
British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
World news in pictures
British father faces charges after confessing to slitting his two children's throats in Lyon flat
- 1 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 2 British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
- 3 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 4 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
iJobs Money & Business
£500 per day: Orgtel: A top tier banking client urgently requires Finance Gove...
£500 - £680 per day: Orgtel: Quantitative Risk Analyst, Front Office/Risk Bank...
£55000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Pension: Orgtel: Quantitative Analyst, ...
£550 - £600 per day: Orgtel: Fidessa Analyst / PM - Banking - London - Up to £...